My baby is now 10 months old, still wakes up 2-3 x's a night, and cries a lot!!

My son ( my fourth child) is now 10 months old. He has been a crier from day one. I delt with the colic, and first few teeth, and all the normal things that make some babies difficult, but here I am at 10 months, and I am loosing it!! The doctor said he is fine, and I know he is really healthy ( thank goodness), but he is always crying!! He completely loses it when I leave the room at times! He wakes up 2-3 x's a night ( demanding a bottle each time), cries a lot during the day, and never wakes up happy, and cooing!!! I need help!! My nerves are shot, and I forgot what it's like to sllep more than 3 hours in a row!!

angelx3

Asked by angelx3 at 8:53 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The first thing to do is to stop giving him a bottle when he wakes up. Habits are formed and they are hard to break, so start with that one. The second thing I would do is let him learn to put himself to sleep. If he can put himself to sleep at bedtime, he can put himself back to sleep when he wakes up.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• yeah i agree cry it out. i did that for my kids, even though my first son didnt sleep thru the night until he was 2.
    momluja

Answer by momluja at 8:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Time for Cry It Out
    i know many mom's will disagree with me,but its worth a try

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I don't think that is a bad idea, but he will cry for a really long time, and we live in a small house. The night time would be the worse because the crying will wake up the other three, and my husband. How do you deal with the rest of the family??
    angelx3

Comment by angelx3 (original poster) at 8:59 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• try putting him down at naptime while still awake. He'll get the idea of bedtime means quiet time

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Your son sounds like mine! Only mine is four now, and thankfully he's sleeping through the night. Turns out my son had a citrus allergy. I was nursing him, so anything citrus I ate made his tummy hurt. He didn't sleep through the night till I stopped nursing him, and we found out about the allergy a few months later. US Biotek does a 96 food allergy test for around $100 I think. It was totally worth it! We never did CIO after the first attempt. It took four hours of blood curdling screaming and I couldn't do it anymore. That was when he was about six months old. My son was just in pain, but I had no idea. Now that he's four, he still has a hard time sleeping at night, but we play a lullaby CD all night on repeat, and now he FINALLY sleeps all night long.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I agree with corbysmom531. I work at a daycare and we had a little boy in our infant room that all he did was cry pretty much 24/7. They told his parents he has reflux because he spit up all the time. Come to find out when he was almost 1 he had a ton of food allergies! Once that was figured out he has been a completely different kid! He is so happy and smiley now. I would look into it if I were you :-)
    meabellas_mommy

Answer by meabellas_mommy at 9:32 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Try the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution". It IS possible though, that he is legitimately hungry when he wakes, or at least thirsty. The crying when you leave the room is probably separation anxiety, and it will pass, but it takes time. He's still learning that you'll come back when you leave. Personally, my kids slept better in my bed as babies, so that's what *I* did, and they both sleep in their own beds now, at almost 4, and 5 yrs old. If you're comfortable co sleeping, it might help. The important thing to understand here is that this is all normal, and will pass. Do you have any help? Anyone that can step in and take over for a couple of hours when you feel like you're losing it? I would also look into any allergies, just ask the pedi for a referral to an allergist. It is normal though, for babies to still wake, and even eat, at this age.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I know how you feel. My son had colic and now at 15 months he is going on 14 teeth so I have dealt with teething also. My son will still get up at night sometimes but not all the time anymore. He will grow out of it...I promise. My son is just now becoming a better sleeper.
    SJSMOMMA

Answer by SJSMOMMA at 2:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Have you tried putting him in your bed? My son would have been grumpy but for cuddling with mommy every night!
    blueberry1

Answer by blueberry1 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 9, 2011