How many of you are planning on home births?

I personally can't have one, due to the need for a repeat c-section, but on CafeMom I've noticed a high trend of women who are opting to give birth at home. How many of you are?

prinzesstephi

Asked by prinzesstephi at 1:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would never PLAN for my child to be born in my home. Reason : I would like a healthy baby.
    ReadyToRage

Answer by ReadyToRage at 1:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• that's not an entirely fair statement... most midwives are trained to care for a newly born baby, and many women have trained doulas with them... I personally wouldn't want to have a home birth either, but that's due to my fear of something medically going wrong with me.
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 1:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• i seen that stuff on tv and it looks like it hurt to much and not safe at all so iwouldnt do it something could happen to you and the baby you never know
    Autumn634

Answer by Autumn634 at 1:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I wouldn't have a home birth just b/c to me if something "went wrong" I would like to have the equipment and resources available if need be. I've known two babies that have died during a homebirth b/c by the time they realized something was wrong there was not enough time to get to the hospital for a c-section. My last son was born by emergency c-section and seeing his heartrate and him not moving scared the crap out of me...had we been at home he may have not made it
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 2:09 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I'd love to have this one at home. Midwives can't legally practice in our state so you have to go it alone, and we're ok with that. We plan to birth in the hospital, but things don't always go as planned. I do know of many women who choose to VBAC at home b/c hospitals throw a fit and won't do it. They have midwives who are comfortable with VBACs in attendance and I don't know of anyone who has had complications due to the VBAC or lost a baby due to birthing at home. I've known of many who had unnecessary C-secs in hospitals, though. I know all are not unnecessary, but many are.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I am having a home birth. I feel it is safer to birth at home than a hospital. This is my second child and my first was at a midwife's clinic. I haven't decided if I will have the midwife there for this one or not.
    There is a lot of fear in these answers. I find it interesting that women fear childbirth so much. The only fear i have experienced with either of my pregnancies was in the beginning of my first and it was because I didn't know anything about what was happening. Everything on tv and what you hear says that you are to fear. I asked why? and started reading.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2008