Do babies of near a year old hit their heads on chair, or hit themselves purposely?

My granddaughter has been hitting herself, particularly if you tell her not to put something in her mouth off the floor, for example. She hits herself in the head. Just once. Or she might rear back and hit her head on the high chair when you say "please don't throw your sippy cup on the floor, sweetie.."
Or when she crawls to a chair, she gives herself a tap with her forehead on the chair leg, and then looks at you. Is this for attention? Is it normal? She gets a LOT of attention. She is the firstborn and only one right now. Very smart. Eats, sleeps well. Very happy baby. Loving parents in a loving relationship. TV is not on for her, so no bad influence there. No daycare, so it can't be anyone else having any influence or seeing another baby do this. Could she be overstimulated? I don't remember my kids ever doing this hitting to themselves, but my sister says her son did the same thing. Do we just take her away from chair leg as we have been, or distract her when she hits herself? She also pinches your neck sometimes, but listens when we say "Do nice to grandma, mommy, etc.." and show her how to smoothly touch, not pinch. Thanks, Grammabiddy

Grammabiddy

Asked by Grammabiddy at 10:35 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i vaguely remember my son doing that...i believe it was around that age, maybe a bit older by a couple of months or so. i remember thinking that it might be a way to deal with teething...but the one where you tell her no, that sounds like a mini tantrum to me.

armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Yes it's normal. Most kids do this I think. All mine went through it.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 10:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• my daughter has hit herself many times and when I tell her no she throws a fit and starts banging her head on the floor or couch cushion!
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 11:41 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Normal.
    PANZONSMOM

Answer by PANZONSMOM at 12:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2011