Anyone else?

Is anyone else feeling a little depressed right now? I moved to Oklahoma from Maine in August with my new husband and two month old baby. I thought I was doing okay but now that we are right in the middle of the hoildays, I'm a wreck. I talk to Friends and Family back home and I want so badly to be with them. My heart literally hurts. I want to go home so badly. So, have any of you been in a similar situation? How do you deal? I try to be happy for my family, but it's getting harder. What do I do?

Rebecca7708

Asked by Rebecca7708 at 1:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Relationships

• I moved from Arkansas to Oklahoma and honestly this site has helped me make so many dependable friends. Also to know I am not alone. It is hard though b/c my whole family including my older sister, mom and dad granmothers.all the women in my life are there and I was pregnant when I moved here. Plus yes this time of year was filled with sooo much family time growing up it is hard to be away from them until Christmas day. I just try to focus on starting holiday traditions in our own growing family. Plus my sis in law is here and that helps! Hope you get to cheering up. I have been doing more things with dd like listening and dancing with her to Christmas music or watching Christmas movies or just taking her shopping if its just to look around. Also doing "out of season things like tanning or giving yourself a pedicure or a "spa night". It lifts my spirits! God Bless!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 2:23 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I know how you feel. I moved to Las Vegas in March from Arkansas. I have always been really close to my family so it has been really hard for me also. I hope that with time things get better for you. It will really make the bond stronger for you and your family. I have really grown since moving and I am proud of that. I suggest you enjoy the time you get to spend with your baby and spouse. Good luck.

StacyMarie1029

Answer by StacyMarie1029 at 1:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Holiday time is the biggest time for depression. I lost my mothernearly two years ago; she was in the end stage of cancer during Christmas 2006. I miss her and my dad every single day (he died in 2005) and don't have the option of phone calls or traveling home.

How do I deal? Grief counseling did help, but I'm no longer eligible for it through hospice. Now...I try to reproduce the things we used to do that I loved (like making special baked goods), and am working on our own traditions to replace the things I won't really miss (like the Christmas Eve Italian fish feast).

Some things you might do? A video exchange. Send your family video or pictures of where you are now, and have them do the same in return. If any of you have webcams, stage a virtual reunion. And find things in your new hometown that your whole family will enjoy.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I moved from Texas to Maryland in my youth. I realize now that I did not get out into the community to form social relationships & had I, I might have done better with my depressing home-sick feelings. You have to get out & make the effort to form relationships & find activities to do. People & community events aren't going to come to you & just fall in your lap. Hope you can feel better & enjoy your new baby & new community.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 5:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2008