What age should Kids be socialized?

Im just curious at what age do you think kids should be socialized?
And what exactly is socialized enough in your opinion? Is a 5yo just having a few cousins to play with enough? Is Sunday school enough for a 5 year old? Does a 7 year old need a classroom to be socialized enough?
Can a child ever be socialized well enough just by being around different grownups?

Growing up I wasnt around many kids my age until I went to Kindergarten (6yo) & I was just fine.. I had a good social life but Ive always been naturally shy..
Now I have a 4.5yo & wonder if she is going to turn out weird since we opted for no prek but gets "socialization" from kids her age at church on Sunday & occasional (living in tx isnt easy on slides) visits to the playground & we visit a friend with a 5yo 1-2x a month..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:02 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think that children have to be socialized with thier peers (kids thier own age) without thier own parents there to jump in for them. Obviously a five year old still needs an adult to be present. I feel that when the parent is around children act different. They need to act out socially on thier own and suffer the consequences either good or bad. You can tell a child to share until you are blue in the face but they dont unserstand it until they do it of thier own accord and make a friend. On the otherside, they dont understand that not sharing is bad until they dont do it and they are left to play alone for it. At a young age children are who they see thier parents as. If mom is good they will be good. If mom tells her boy he is bad, he will be bad. Its not until the parent leaves that the child discovers himself. This can be accomplished by playing with cousins or at church.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 10:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I think it starts as soon as they are born. And it just naturally happens when you are with other families, your relatives and other kids. I wouldn't force it. Let it happen naturally .
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 11:49 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'm not an expert on child development, but when my dd was born I was determined to do everything I can so that she won't be shy like me. I signed up on a website that I love and used until recently (when it no longer applies to her age group) - www.babycenter.com
    I used to get weekly emails from them and I would read books and the site to figure out what she needed to develop at a give age. I signed her up for Gymboree classes at 6 months of age and that's where she met her first friend (they are still friends at age 9). I would look for free/inexpensive events at bookstores, parks, gardens, performing art centers, anywhere I could. So that way she was always around children. I also, took her to mommy and me preschool for two years (ages 2-3). I think those are very helpful for shy children specially, because the moms are there to guide their children and help them to meet other kids and learn how to play, share,
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 11:13 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I watch the child to see what is the Right Fit for them.

"A lot" of social time isn't better for every adult, not better for every child, either.
    If you're having a hard time keeping your child from peeling off the paint in the house, lol, maybe it's time to start arranging more playdates...
    Conversely, if your child seems drained-exhausted or hyper-stimulated from social interaction then balancing with more Quiet activities would probably be good.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I guess it depends, before we moved my daughter was very social, child care, play dates, after we moved for a while she did not have any, she felt bad and push us to find her new friends. Now for the summer she had only two playdates and i am not planning any more, but since she is very busy, she seem not to care much.
    ganna04

Answer by ganna04 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• and socialize. I also set up play dates for her a few times a month. Thankfully, she is a naturally social child, but I think it still helped her quite a bit. She is an only child and at the time had no cousins to play with.
    Ashoonik

Answer by Ashoonik at 11:16 PM on Jul. 9, 2011