Any other moms dealing with a condition that causes chronic pain and raising kids?

I have Psoriatic arthirtis which is an autoimmune arthritis similar to Rheumitoid arthritis, I also have Fibromyalgia and back/neck problems....so I'm in pain everyday at varying levels.

Anyone else in a similar, chronic pain situation with kids?

How do you deal with active kids(i have a 3 1/2 yr old boy) and the pain? Any advice? I feel horrible because I can't do as much as I used to (started having all these problems 2 1/2 yrs ago) with my son. When he was little we used to go for walks everyday sometimes up to 6 miles, now I can't even walk 1 mile.

Putting this in general parenting as its not really a health question more of a lifestyle parenting question.

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 11:38 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in General Parenting

• i have rheumatoiid arthritis (have had it going on 16 years now) some days are worse than others but my dh helps me out with the kids when i have bad days, without him idk what i'd do...do you have a support system? it helps gl
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:46 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• My husband is very supportive, but also has arthritis in his knees(is having surgery soon) and an eye problem(they haven't figured out what is going on yet) which limits his vision, so I hate to depend on him for everything.

My aunt was very kind to take my son to the park today as I was in too much pain to accompany them today.

I just feel like he is getting cheated because I can't do all that I want to do with him, like take him to the park more often, swimming, mueseums, etc.. I just can't make it to those things, I have trouble walking around.

tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 11:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• has your doctor put you on anything to manage the pain? i take celebrex and lortabs and it helps sometimes it dosen't "fix" the problem b/c as you and i both no, there is no cure but it does make it more managable (i totallt understand your frustration!) how old are you btw? i'm only 28 and get so fristrated that i have this crap at my age, it makes it very hard to do as much as i'd like with my children (and my ds isn't even 2 yet!)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:54 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I'm 25. I am on enbrel and have loratab for the pain, but it really doesn't do much(it took me a year to get my Rhumetologist to give me the loratabs(the lowest dose) so I don't want to ask for something stronger. None of the treatments have worked so far, and I can't afford the one she wants me on, which is Remicade infussions, even with my insurance.

I too am just frustrated that I will have to deal with this for the rest of my life...the arthritis just keeps spreading and they can't stop it, and I've spent $5,000 out of pocket this year alone for the medical stuff, which is alot for me as I've just now graduated with my BA.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• eh...how do you feel about embrel? have you researched it? and definatley not remicade! the side effects are way worse than pain and stiffness...(even though, as i'm typing, my stupid hands want to cramp!) i wish there were something i could tell you that has worked for me, but nothing really works :( *hugs* wish i could help
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:04 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I don't really like any meds but I'm also worried about my joints and the destruction, I already have problems in pretty much every joint. As well as arthritis in my spine. For example my right elbow has been so inflamed that it has pinched my nerve causing numbness in my arm down below and in my hand.

Do you worry about your joints being hurt?
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 12:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• oh i do, but i'd rather have to get a knee replacment than possibly get cancer or tb.... i've had arthroscopic surgery on both knees and my left shoulder to remove bone fragments...i have arthritis all over my body but i'm more afraid of the meds than the arthritis itself. i have it in my back, shoulders, elbows, hands, hips, knees and ankles. it has gotten worse over the years but idk what else to do. i don't want to take something that could kill me but i don't want to be in a wheelchair depending on everyone either. it's a lose/lose with arthritis :(
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:18 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yeah I agree, my husband wants me to go off the enbrel and not take anything really except for pain pills. But I don't think my doc would still give me pain meds if i didn't do the meds.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 12:55 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• as limited as 'my' mind allows me to be. and I also have 2 toddlers
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:56 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I have fibromyalgia and two little ones. Some days are really hard but I also have a husband who helps quite a bit. If I'm having a really bad day and I'm on my own I just gate them in the living room while I lay on the couch. Sometimes I doze but everything is child proof, they have water and snacks, plus plenty of toys and books. Of course I wouldn't recommend if you're a heavy sleeper.

And even if you're having a good pain day, take it easy! I tend to wear myself out quickly on the days I feel good and then regret it the next day for pushing things.
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 10, 2011