My 5 year old wants to move out...

He says he is tired of living with us (mom & dad). He does not like to eat vegetables for dinner, pick up his clothes off the floor, and be told what to do. He wants to go back to our old apartment 5 towns over. (We just moved to a house about 9 months ago)

So my DH and I humored him and said okay, pack your things and you can go. Well he got dressed up, packed up, hopped on his bike and took off ! I followed him all the way down the street and said well how are you going to go on the freeway? Do you have any money?

He realized I was right and came back to get his piggy bank and asked if we would drive him to our old city. By now me and my DH are getting offended and this boy will NOT stop asking to go back! I tried distracting him but he does not fall for the okie-doke.
He is very strong willed and persistent. I finally put him to sleep but I know he will get back to it in the morning.

I don't know what to do in this situation.

mamatel

Asked by mamatel at 11:42 PM on Jul. 9, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• i went through this stage but i moved from colorado to north carolina....so i didnt get very far lol!!! but i packed a bag and all i remember taking was my sports trophies lol...then when i got to the main road which was a pretty good distance in the country, it got dark and i wanted to go home!
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 11:52 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• I think he is old enough for you to sit him down and talk with him frankly about why you moved. Then maybe set up a little party for you guys in the new house. I'm thinking building a fort in the living room(or a campout in the back yard) with marshmellow(smores?) movies, games, popcorn. To celebrate your new house. Maybe take him to get something special for his new room? like to decorate it or something.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:55 PM on Jul. 9, 2011

• Try to find something in the area that he would enjoy, a park, group of kids, event etc. Try to make the house "his" and allow him to "decorate" parts of the house so that he feels part of the house. Talk to him, and let him know why you moved. Tell him how sad you would be if he trys to "move" (only as a last resort lol) But I would do some serious research in your area and find stuff that he could get involved in. If he finds something or someplace he really likes, and brings up moving again, just remind him that this activity is only where you live now. (Though if you have to move, that may backfire)
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 11:31 PM on Jul. 12, 2011