5 yr old kissing like an adult....MOMS I NEED HELP!

I have 2 girls that are 5 years old, yes they are twins. One of my girls just came up to me and asked me if she can give me a kiss, as I was and still am working on my homework. I told her yes, but to remember that she only kisses me on the cheek, no lip kissing. And I thought she was going to do the normal kiddy kiss....oh no....it was an open mouth and tongue kiss. I freaked the freak out. My husband and I don't kiss in front of the girls, nor do we watch any shows or movies that exhibit that in front of the girls. I don't know what to do...I have a gut feeling that I know who is doing it in front of my girls, and oh my gosh, I want to flip out on them....what do I do???

LoveMyBabies509

Asked by LoveMyBabies509 at 12:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• 1) calmly ask them where they learned that behavior
    2) remember that being curious about OTHER people's bodies is a normal milestone for this age
    3) if it's anything inappropriate at all, remove all contact
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• This is a normal phase all three of my kids have tried doing that too. You just need to explain to them that it is not okay to kiss like that but make sure they know that you love them and are not mad at them you just don't like that kind of kissing.
    brdsh

Answer by brdsh at 1:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Just explain to her that that is a mommy and daddy kiss, not a mommy and daughter kiss. Daughters only kiss their mommies on the cheek. My little girl tried to do that once after seeing my sister kiss her husband (except she tried to kiss her cousin) I just explained to her that it was ok for Aunt Emily and Uncle Matt to kiss each other like that because they were adults and they were married. And don't worry so much about kissing in front of them. I've always believed that it's good for the kids to know that mommy and daddy love each other, especially after you've made up from a fight. I'm not married but all of my siblings (except for my seven year old half sister) are.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I would be upset too and I would confront that person you're talking about I don't think I would ask the child about where or who they saw doing it because that may raise more questions like why I can't do it or why is it wrong ect
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Raise hell and find out!!!!!!!!
    Autiziumom

Answer by Autiziumom at 12:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• You need to find out where she saw it right away. It could be something as simple as television or it could be more serious. I hope you get to the bottom of it.
    LuckyStarr28

Answer by LuckyStarr28 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Trace where your girls saw it and as soon as possible refrain them to watch it or see it again. If that is actually seen confront that persons who kissed in front of your girls and let them aware of the effect.
    arbee1971

Answer by arbee1971 at 9:30 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My granddaughter kisses me with open mouth on my cheek, for example, and she's a toddler....I am not worried. I bet your daughter saw it on TV....any time of the day there is the potential for "racy" mature programming. There are very few standards left nowdays. Kids see lots of things on TV NOW that would have made adults blush years ago.
    I suppose you could ask her about it......but,I wouldn't worry about it . In any case, where is it wrong that adults kiss in real life? Kissing is not a bad thing. Of course,some necking and petting would be really a bad thing. Just kissing is a good thing for kids to see. There is nothing wrong with affection.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• You'd be surprised where they can get the idea for that kind of kiss.... My kids call that a "Mermaid Kiss" from Little Mermaid. Also be aware that its NOT that unsuall, its pretty normal and the deal is to explain that that type of kiss is NOT appropiate that only adults (that are commited etc) kiss like that.
    And be prepared to reexplain over and over for a while b/c they do try to push the boundaries a bit. Explain app. child to adult kissing and when they do it. Pull back and remind them that is NOT appropiate and we do this....

Your dd is NOT the only one. And in our case I KNEW that they had NOT ever seen any adult kissing like that either...
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Find out where this was picked up from and explain that it is not ok to do that sort of kissing.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 12:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2011