Wal Mart Stampede

A Wal Mart worker was killed on Black Friday in Long Island when the mob of 2,000 people trampled him to death. What are your thoughts and who do you think should be held responsible?

MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Asked by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 1:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

Level 1 (-3 Credits)
  • I think that walmart should have had a better system for their "deals". Like make them stand outside in a line for whatever item they wanted and then give them tickets to redeem each purchase. If that means only one per household, then fine. Best buy and circuit city already do this when it comes to game systems and deals like that. Breaking the doors off the hinges is just simply barbaric. Its the lust of things that people have supported in their kids that cause things like this. We created it by the condition of our own hearts.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The people who trampled the poor worker should be held responsible, but I am sure Walmart is going to have one hell of a lawsuit on their hands.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I think it pathetic that material goods take precedence over human safety & compassion. I read the story about that event. After they told people the store was closing due to the death of the worker, many people complained & were refusing to leave & continued to shop! How insane is that? They said it might be next to impossible to pin point which people were directly responsible for his death though. Very tragic. Some people might say the store should be held to it, but really nobody told those people to act like animals and trample the poor man.

lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Shoppers are animals!
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 2:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Ughhh This bit disgusts me. I think they should review any footage and identify each and every shopper who step on him and prosecute them to the FULL extent of the law. It is unacceptable and horrendous. Who could do that to anyone?
    Renee21

Answer by Renee21 at 6:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The Wal Mart store failed to follow the corporate regs set in place.
    However, the people should be also charged. That is absurd. How greedy people can be over a flipp'n tv, game system, WHATEVER... Those shoppers essentially placed a materialistic item AHEAD of a man's life. Imagine what would have happened if that area was in dire need (ie Katrina like moment). Those people may have done WORSE given more serious situation. Pathetic, pathetic, pathetic...
    myame

Answer by myame at 7:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The people in the stampede were just as much powerless at that point as the worker who was trampled to death.....Haven't you heard about stampedes like this in fires or other big evacuations? That is why there are rules that Walmart was supposed to follow to ensure everyone's safety! So, it is obvious that Walmart is responsible as the entity that set up the entire situation. I don't believe a single person in that stampede decided to trample the man, even if they didn't think he would die....they were caught up in the power of the throng and couldn't stop without being trampled themselves. These policies have to be looked at. I feel sorry for the people involved!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 8:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• That is a load of crap BJoan - the people in the stampeded did not have to run or push or try to be the first person to get that big screen tv or whatever. They could have walked calmly in a straight line (like we are all taught in school).
    Yes Walmart should have had a better system in place - but the people are equally responsible as Walmart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I don't believe a single person in that stampede decided to trample the man, even if they didn't think he would die....

AnyONE person who is willing to PUSH to buy anything has flagrent disregard for humanity, and is GUILTY.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Actually, once your in the middle of the crowd....You are powerless. You are going to either stop and get trampled or your going to move. There were probably many people that were pushed by others that might have changed their minds and wanted to stop but knew they would be seriously injured if they did. Thats how stampedes work. Walmart is responsible for this. I know the can't control everyones behavior, but thats when better security and common sense come into play.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 10:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2008