Have you ever had to take drastic actions because of what your teenager has done in your house? Tough love is what I call it.

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• no. but i believe in having an iron fist when it comes to unruly kids. i am not their friend i am their mom. if they don't like me sometimes that means i am doing my job as a parent.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:55 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• NO. My kids are aged 20 and 18 (boys) and 16 and 13 (girls); we also have two younger ones. None of my kids has ever done anything that warranted "tough love". They are good kids because I raised them with respect and kindness and love instead of "discipline". If your kids are out of control, have a long hard look at how you raised them...
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• This is not a simple question. It depends on so many things.
    But, yes I have been there. and I would give anything to have things turn out different.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 2:01 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• @ judimary.. how a kid behaves/ turns out when they are older doesn't necessarily mean that their parents did a bad job at raising them. i have seem too many examples where kids were raised with "respect, kindness, values" and they still turned out to be lemons. i have seen families with 4 kids- 3 of the kids turned out to be model citizens but the 4th kid didn't take heed. it would be unfair to blame the parents in cases like that.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Gwen20, yes, of course, there are many factors that make a child who they are. But with the lack of any details in the question, it seemed a vague and kind of generalized answer was appropriate. I'm not saying it's the parents' fault if kids are misbehaving, all I said was that you should consider that it could be partially your own doing.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 2:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Depends on what u mean by drastic action. My 14 year old is pretty dramatic and it's major when I take away her cellphone and laptop!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 2:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• oh yes! we have a 15 year old foster daughter! she gets ALOT of tough love!!! she is a drama queen!!!! she never had any rules in her birth parents house so this is a whole new world for her, she calls it jail! lol! got to love kids!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I think in some cases tough love is a must. My old neighbor has a 15 year old son and 10 year old daughter. His son is out of control, always getting in to fights, skipping school, ect.....The dad does nothing about it but yell at him. They have some really bad fights. I think mostly its because the dad is a hypocrite. You cant expect your children to follow rules and such if you yourself do not. His kids have even expressed that they wish he would stop certain things and he just blows them off and says its no big deal. Its no wonder the kids have no respect for him because he has no respect for them.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I hope I may never have to answer yes to such a question! I'm doing great so far :0r
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 5:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011