Why do people always feel the need to ask

for major medical advice instead of just going to the doctor in the first place

DianeMary

Asked by DianeMary at 2:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Health

• writingno kidding. i think some people fail to realize this is cafemom NOT DR.MOM . i dont mind if people ask about a little rash or lump but i have seen some questions where they are asking for some major medical advice on here . it is very silly.

gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 2:09 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I find it even more ridiculous is when moms, not doctors give wrong, dangerous, misleading advice to the asker.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• For the same reason you call your mom or best friend, because maybe they have had experience with it.

Most of the time people say to go to the doctor in anyway, so they are getting the advice to go to the doc.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:16 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Chuckle yeah.....we need some random beings on the Internet to tell us our child is in danger because we can't think for ourselves! Just sayin.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 2:19 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• probably some moms dont have insurance or if they do cant afford the visit. and i assume at least a handful of moms here work in the medical field. others may want to see if its serious enough to go, or just want opinions . now the pregnancy questions annoy me, just go to the dollar store and get a cheap test. and if someone were to post something like, i just cut my arm off what do i do? then i would be questioning their intelligence
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 2:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I know I have seen some where the poster should be on their way to the ER instead of asking all us here about something
    DianeMary

Comment by DianeMary (original poster) at 2:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I agree with SleepingBeautee. I think sometimes it's because they are scared and not very confident in their parenting skills, and wanting reassurance that yes, they should go to the Dr, or no, my kid had that, put this ointment on it and it will go away.

Though I do agree, the "can I be pg" questions get annoying. I get the worry that they might be, or the hope that they might be (depending on the individual), but honestly, even when someone lists "well my last period was on this day, the moon was full here, I had sex at this time in this position..." - every person ovulates on their own cycle, and short of giving the person a pg test, there's no way for us to know. Simple answer to all the "can I be pg" questions is this --- Have you had sex? If the answer is yes, then yes, you COULD be.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:22 AM on Jul. 10, 2011