How does your family celebrate Christmas Eve?

pupmom

Asked by pupmom at 1:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Just for Fun

• My BIL is from Maine and it is a Christmas eve tradition in his family to get a fire going in the fireplace and we all sit at low tables on the floor and have a fondu made of shrim soup and wine and cheese. We dip big crusty chunks of bread, boiled shrimp, or raw vegies into it. We have tons of appitizers and a beautiful red raspberry punch, one bowl for the kido's and one spiked with Grey Goose vodka for the adults. We always watch the Grizwolds Christmas Vacation and we have pie and coffee sometimes with a little Baileys. After dinner we put our kids in their PJ's and exchange gifts. It is my favorite evening of the year. On Christmas day we do my DH's family...which is always a blast too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• By trying to get along and act all fake like "Do you need me to take anything"? and then they say "oh no, we have everything taken care of, just bring yourselves" and then you don't take anything and they say "OMG can you believe she didn't bring anything?" FYI I ALWAYS cover my ass and take something, but I have seen it done to others in the family. What I do at my house is bake, cook listen to Christmas music and try to make my son have great memories. It's hard because of family drama but I always make sure my son is at peace and content. OMG I just re-read and I sound a little pissed huh? oh well, perhaps I will make a post this week.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• That's funny Gigi1969. We sound related! LOL

We used to go to my mom's for Christmas Eve and then to my MIL on Christmas Day to avoid anyone fighting over where we spend Christmas. Haven't been to the MIL in 2 years though so we go to my mom's both days and eat all the leftovers on Christmas and play with all the new toys with the kids.
    goinginsane1

Answer by goinginsane1 at 3:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• all the family goes to my moms house and we have a ham dinner, and then afterwards we open all our presents..then christmas day everyone does their own thing, whether they go to their "in-laws" or wherever but then we all meet back at our parents for a turkey dinner...i cant wait!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I'm going to miss Christmas Eve soo much this year! We normally go to my husband's paternal Grandma's house to celebrate with that side of the family, we have a big lunch (ham and turkey) and do a few presents, then we go to his Church. Afterwards, we head over to his maternal Grandma's for dinner (ham and turkey) and presents. That one is a BLAST because his mom has eight siblings, and there are SO many cousins and everyone is always there. We do presents (all at once, it's CRAZY, in my family we take turns). continued.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• And around midnight we head home. We do my family and his on Christmas day, but that is just our parents and siblings. My extended family is normally done a week or so ahead. We just moved 2,500 miles from our families, so this year we're planning to go to church, come home and have Christmas cookies and watch a good movie, probably The Santa Claus, or Elf, or a Christmas Story... that is if he actually get home before Christmas like planned, we're crossing our fingers.
    toriandgrace