cereal in a bottle?

My husbands grandma and all the moms i know said its okay to put the cereal in a babies bottle but today a girl at the grocery store said your not suppose to. who is right?

burtney0921

Asked by burtney0921 at 2:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It depends on how old the baby is. You need to start listening to YOURSELF and your babys doctor. My grandma also told me that. My doctor said no. I'm more inclined to listen to the doctor because HE'S gone to school for babies and knows about them. I also know they have to continue courses when new things come up and to keep them fresh on their practice. Things were different when our moms and grandmothers had babies. Things have changed since then. I already told my family, the day they show me the diploma for pediatrics is the day I'll listen to any advice on that sort of thing. If your baby IS old enough my doctor said just making a very thin mixture that the baby can draw out of the bottle. But don't listen to me. Lol. Talk to doctor
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• And like I told my grandma and mother. It's been 20 years since my mom's last baby and 37 since my grandma's. We can't even discipline kids with a swat on the butt, you can bet medical advice has also changed.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• It's best not to. Stick with plain formula until the baby is old enough to eat cereal out of a spoon - about 4-6 months at least. Even adding cereal too early can lead to more food allergies later, as well as digestion problems now.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:30 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• my baby is almost 5 months so she is old enough but it just worried me because i have done it a couple of times. she has been eating it from a spoon very well though.
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 2:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I wouldn't. My mom tried to convince me to put cereal in my daughter's bottle when she was about 2-3 months old, but I refused. The only thing that should go in a bottle is formula IMO. When you're child is old enough to be eating cereal, he or she should be learning to eat from a spoon. Like I said, though, this is just my opinion. Although a lot of things I've read on feeding babies says the same thing.
    momma_gig

Answer by momma_gig at 2:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard. Don't do it. If baby can't take it on a spoon, baby's not ready.

There is ONE exception...when doc recommends it for reflux.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• It is ABSOLUTLY ok if your doctor and yourself feel it is ok.....I do and have since my son was about a month old it is the only thing that helped with colick.....Every mother has her opinion on everything.... if your child will take it from a spoon feel free giving it in a bottle only helps fill the tummy a little more if at all, and yes it is a choking hazard if you lay baby down directly after finishing the bottle MOST moms dont do this but there are some who do.....
    Cereal in a bottle or from a spoon is ok if you and your doctor think it is ok.....
    as for moms and grandmas they have their opinion and you have yours......
    listen to yourself...........
    franklynnsmom

Answer by franklynnsmom at 4:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My daughter never took cereal in the bottle I was always told no by the dr...however my son was born with a bad case of reflux and the dr has me put cereal in his bottle twice a day. very very little..I believe it is completely up to you on who you want to listen to but I would rather listen to the dr who has a degree for kids and babies
    AProudUSMCWife

Answer by AProudUSMCWife at 7:48 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Ask your Dr., but every baby is different. Don't let other people scare you into NOT doing it if your Dr. says it's ok. Think about it...if it were dangerous, Dr.s would not risk their lic. to recommend it for reflux, colic, etc. There is a reason they make bottle nipples specifically for thicker formula
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 8:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• FYI...my 2 month old gets about a tablespoon of rice cereal in one bottle every day and has been for about 2 weeks...she's good to go. If Dr. says its ok to try, then go for it. The baby will let you know if he/she is not ready for it.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 8:35 AM on Dec. 17, 2008