I am really scared, I found a lump on the side of my 3 year olds neck

I just found a squishy lump on the side of my 3 year old's neck. There is no discolourization, and he says it isn't sore. It is squishy and moves around when I touch it. It is about the size of a pea.
I am going to take him into the clinic today as my dr isn't open, but that isn't open until about 9 am. I am kinda freaking out.
Has anyone has anything like this before or know what it could be. I am really scared.

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 5:19 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yeah it could just be a strain in the necj it may not be to serious ..
    MissCheare

Answer by MissCheare at 5:31 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Sounds like a cyst. Nothing serious. Don't panic. You should get it looked at, but it's probably just a subcutaneous cyst that will either disappear on it's own in time, or can be surgically removed but in either case it is not dangerous. It's unlikely to be a tumor or anything on a child so young and on the neck. *hugs* I know how we Moms panic, though, I have six kids and have freaked out over what turned out to be trivial things many many times. :)
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 5:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• If it moves around and is squishy it probably isn't serious, I'd wait and call your doctor on Monday because there isn't much the clinic can do if he isn't in pain. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:27 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I agree with Ryansmom. My oldest son has the same thing. Its still there right on his neck. My pediatrician says that unless its growing and changing, there is no need to worry. I had freaked too!
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 6:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Praying for your son Amelora! Don't worry, I'll bet he will be just fine!
    Mommee42boyz

Answer by Mommee42boyz at 7:18 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My nephew just had that and the doctor said it was a cyst, gave him meds to dissolve it and in no time it was gone!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I know how you feel momma! When my son was 3 we were at the store and I happened to touch his neck and felt a lump. I freaked out. I called his doctor and she had me bring him in. She said it was an infected lymph node. She gave him antibiotics and said if it didn't go away to bring him back, but she was pretty sure the antibiotics would resolve it. Sure enough, within a few days, it was gone. Of course you should take him to the doctor, but I'd bet that's what it is. Keep us posted.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:22 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My Son had a very minor cold last fall & got over it quickly. About a week later he had lumps behind his ears & on his neck. It turns out it was normal & just lymph nodes fighting his infection. It took a while for them to dissappear. That may be what your child has too.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:56 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Oh, BTW my son was 3 too when he had it.
    ILovemyPaulie

• We had this happen this week and I was informed it is a lymph node.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2011