What do you say to your children when Santa does not visit them this year?

What do you say to your children that DO believe in Santa Claus and when they are use to receiving some gifts from Santa but would not be able to this year at all? My DH lost his job and we just have money to pay our rent...THere is nothing leftover....My kids still believe in Santa and how do I explain to them that Santa did not or could not come to visit them when they knew he always had in the past?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Holidays

• Would you be willing to accept help from a stranger so you don't have to worry about it?
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 2:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Unless you know someone who can help you out you probably need to just tell them the truth. Do you have parents, siblings, or friends that can help you out?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:32 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• There is always the truth. It may be awkward, but it will build their trust in you in the end. Having gifts isn't the end all be all of life and it's ok if children sometimes have to learn difficult things. If you tell them now you could come up with a new tradition to begin this year that may be more meaningful, be "real", and be something you all remember and enjoy forever. When it all comes down to it, santa won't stand the test of time.

GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:34 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• YES WHEN IT COMES TO MY KIDS I HAVE NO PRIDE....MY FAMILY ALREADY GATHERED MONEY TO HELP WITH THE RENT WHICH I HAVE TO PAY ON FRIDAY...IT IS SO DIFFICULT B/C WHAT MY KIDS ARE ASKING FOR IS JUST THE BASIC THINGS IN LIFE...THAT WE COULD NOT PROVIDE FOR THEM...A JACKET, SLIPPERS...STUFF LIKE THAT.....ANY EXTENDED PRAYERS IS GREATLY APPRECIATED....GOD IS A GOD OF MIRACLES AND THAT IS WHAT I PRAYING FOR...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have always made a point to give my son (only child) what he asked for "via" Santa Claus and baby Jesus, this year is tough, aside from telling him that this is the last year that Santa is watching him (he is 10) because he is old enough to know how to behave, I told him that Santa is soooo busy taking care of the children in the world that have no home,food, or heat and I also tell him of the poor children in Iraq. He looked a little disappointed and said "I understand mom, but I hope he comes for one more year." I feel bad but darn!! $100 gifts are hard to afford when you have to feed and clothe and pay utilities. We are blessed as I tell my son, we have a home that is paid for, but up keep is hard. I know I will make it happen somehow this year, I always do. Hey! if I can afford stupid things then I can afford SOMETHING. I pray for everyone this time of year.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:49 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• there are so many organizations that can help!! Churches, Coats for Kids, Salvation Army, etc. Also, I have girl stuff (size 7/8) that I would gladly send your way if you need. A winter coat is included. Just PM me and let me know. That goes for any of you here, too :)
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have some really nice toddler toys that I'm getting rid of, I could even ship them. I can't imagine anyone not having anything on Christmas. Look for churches, many will help. But I have an "up up elmo" that is practically new, my daughter was afraid of it, I have 2T and younger girl clothes, really nice stuffed animals, including a mickey mouse, and some random other toys. I can't afford to ship everything, but I would ship what I can. PM me if I can help (anyone).
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• ^^ mostly 18 month and 2T clothes, I should clarify.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:27 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I will also help if you will accept it. I got my Christmas money from my grandma and I'd gladly buy your children some things and ship them. I can't think of anything I'd rather spend my money on right now.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• you gotta have a mom or relitaive that can help you out. im not providing xmas but i know at least my mom is getting them a gift one thing is better then nothing. im even taking some things out that ihave stored away and wrapping them up, just to have soemhing...sorry i cant help much moe, my kids are still really young and dont have a belief in santa
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 11:31 AM on Dec. 17, 2008