OK To let your baby sleep in a swing??

It seems like i cannot get my baby to sleep in her crib, no matter what i do..I have tried her monitors that light up and play tunes to her..I tried putting her above a shirt i wore that day so she has my scent..It seems like she will just cry and cry til i pick her up, OR she will sleep for maybe 20 mins and then wake up...Why? I would love to get her used to her crib but i feel nothing i do is working and i always feel bad when she cries so i give in...She is 8 weeks old tomorrow. I have been putting her in her swing the past couple nights, Is that ok too at times? Or no? Opinions needed, Thanx!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as the swing is in a reclined position and you are watching to make sure she is safe, it is fine. Is she having problems because she is gassy/hungry/wet? Sounds like one of them may be the problem if she is waking up after only 20 minutes. I would try a spoonful of cereal in her bottle.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• The swing is OK to use. My DIL used one for weeks. But you will have to transition her eventually. If you really want to use the crib now use a consistent sleep time routine that you do every time. When she is groggy put her down. She will pick up on the cues that it is time to sleep. If she fusses a little it is not a problem. You might also try one of those heart beat toys that sound like the mother's heart beat. I take care of two children now who have them in their cribs. GL
    whitepeppers

Answer by whitepeppers at 7:34 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• by all means. my oldest had to sleep in a swing as an infant because she had breathing troubles and had to be in a sitting position to sleep for the longest time. my middle daughter didn't have any issues like that but she preferred sleeping in her swing too. as long as she's secured and can't fall out i don't see a problem with it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:25 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I feel you. My 6 week is the SAME way. She will only sleep in the swing. The only time I can ever really get her in the crib is if she is in a deep deep sleep already. but, like whitepeppers said, we will eventually have to transition our babies to the crib. GL!
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 8:28 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Just make sure that their head is not tilted to the side (which often happens when they fall asleep in a swing) support their head, there are head support pillows out there for babies!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 8:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Both my twin DDs slept in their swings for about the first 4 months. After that we transitioned them to their cribs. I just made sure their heads were supported and everything else was fine. With my DD he slept in his bouncer for the first few months. I think they like the closeness of the swing and bouncer, they aren't used to having so much room.
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 9:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• If the baby is happy sleeping in the swing- let them! My daughter did and she's perfectly fine ;)
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:50 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Both my sons slept in their swings because they did not want anything to do with their cribs. Their dr actually gave me the idea. So it is ok. *smile*
    RickysGirl411

Answer by RickysGirl411 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• my 4month old sleeps in hers and the doctor said its fine as long as the swing reclines... Our swing as like 4 different positions...
    JaylynnsMommy21

Answer by JaylynnsMommy21 at 12:48 AM on Jul. 13, 2011