How do you keep your kids from driving you crazy very first thing in the morning?

My kids wake up about the same time every day: between 5:30 and 6:30 AM. I can handle that. What I CAN'T handle is my 3 year old asking me for something to eat 3 or 4 times, asking for a cartoon, telling me she wants 3 different toys, to get dressed, AND running around making a ton of noise... before I've even been awake for 2 minutes. I'm not exaggerating, this is my morning. Every morning. And I NEED a couple of minutes. Not many, just enough to get out of bed, get dressed and go pee before she starts with this barrage.

Is there anything I can do other than telling her to hush for a few minutes (which doesn't work at all) to get her to let me wake up for a couple of minutes before she starts this?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 8:49 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• LOL you tell me! My 3yr old is the same way, gets up at the same time, but I also have a 2yr old doing the same thing and a 10 month old that like to nurse as soon as he's woken up
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• God, it's soooo hard at that age. A good cartoon lasts for a little while but at that age they want Mommy all the time! I guess all I can tell you is that as they grow it WILL get easier! I still have these problems with my 9 year old son ... at least now I can set him up with a computer of xbox game! Good luck ... wish I could be more help ... I'll give ya' a bump!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 8:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• You could try pushing her bedtime back about 30 minutes or an hour, so she won't wake up quite so early.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 8:58 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Jeanette, tried it. She wakes up EARLIER, as if that makes any sense.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• that whole pushing bedtime back thing DOESNT work with all kids, infact if I try that with mine they get up even earlier.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 9:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• "Get out...get up to the table...I'll be right there".
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:05 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• You might try answering no, not till I've had my coffee or something like that. I really don't remember if my kids did that or not, or what I did about it, if anything. I DO know that when they got to school age and having a friend over for the night, they'd tell the friend, "don't ask her anything before she's had her coffee in the morning cause she'll tell ya NO". One dd went so far as to tell her friend, "before she's had her coffee, even if you ask to use the bathroom, she'll tell ya no". LOL....I don't think I was THAT bad but they didn't start asking for stuff before I'd had my coffee........
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 9:16 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My kids are the same way. And NO ONE in this house is a morning person. I HAVE to have a few minutes to wake up a bit before dealing with anything...and about an hour before I'm in a good mood...LOL
    And the kids wake up crabby and demanding...and my hubby....ugh!
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 9:17 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• We tell our kids to stay in thier rooms until we wake them up. They are allowed to play quietly in thier rooms and go to the bathroom if needed, but thats it! If they dont do this than they dont get to watch saturday morning cartoons. Instead they have to eat breakfast and go back to playing in thier rooms. It is very effective with the 3 and 4 year old.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 9:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• my ds woke up at 6:30am this morning.....i put him in his highchair and gave him some juice and a snack, kixs and a fruit bar, while i vegged out on the couch. after he was done, about 20mins, i made eggs
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2011