Best way to store breast milk?

I need to register but wash't sure which method to use for storing breastmilk in the fridge & the freezer. Suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Depends on how soon you will be using it. Breastmilk is good for about a week in the refrigerator or up to 6 months in the freezer. If you haven't already had your baby, I would recommend pumping a bag or two of milk and freezing it right away. It is FULL of antibodies and nutrients in the beginning, and I have found it does wonders if the baby gets sick later on.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:04 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Store in fridge if you will use within a week, otherwise store in freezer. If you store in bags, protect them by placing them in a container in the fridge or freezer. What to store them in depends on how often you'll be using pumped milk. Some moms store milk in Playtex Nurser bags. Others use baby bottles. It's going to depend on what bottle your LO will drink from, which is the easier choice for storage.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 9:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• The fridge is good if your going to use it within a week, But when you have extra milk from pumping every three hours, Store it in the freezer so it does not go to waste.
    Proudnewmommy11

Answer by Proudnewmommy11 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I agree with the ladies above. Make sure that when you store it, you get all of the air out of the bag to prevent freezer-burn, and don't lay it on its side, or it will crystallize. Also, before you put it in the freezer, cool it in the fridge.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:16 AM on Jul. 10, 2011