diaper rash..

my 15mo old has a diaper rash so bad he wont sit down, i have been using desitin, and balmex... and they dont seem to be helping.. took him to the urgent care on base and all they gave me was tylenol w/codine.. but ichange him almost every 1/2 hr to every hour... to keep the diahrea and pee from irritating it.. but nothing seems to help.. any advise?

Fudgemomma

Asked by Fudgemomma at 2:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't use baby wipes, use wash cloths until it clears.
    Give his bottom plenty of baths. They really help.
    We also use Corn starch to dry it out.
    Let him go naked as much as you can, Diapers can keep them irritated.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 2:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• My children are allergic to zinc oxide - the ingredient in diaper rash creams - and they get worse and worse when we use them. I use extra virgin coconut oil instead. It is antifungal and antibacterial naturally. It sooths the skin and has healed our worst rashes in as little as 2 days. Most any health food store should have this. Also you can buy it online. Barlean's is a great namebrand.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 2:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I would say let him run diaper-less. Also... any chance it could either be a reaction to diapers or wipes? I used only luvs with my son, then switched temporarily to huggies and when we went back to luvs he started getting this weird rash. Switched to Pampers and it went away. Or could he have a yeast infection? My son has gotten one or two and they took forever to figure out and get rid of.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 3:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Destin and Balmex are barrier creams. They help prevent, not help get rid of diaper rash.

Lotrimin AF (yes the athelete's foot stuff) twice a day at diaper change. The rest of the changes, use the barrier cream.

Soak in a bath with baking soda at least once a day...twice would be better. NO SOAP. Dry well.

No wipes. Use a warm wash cloth and dry well at each change.

If he's having diahrrea, you need to get that cleared up. If it's viral, it's going to have to pretty much run it's course, but bulk him up on starches and carbs. If it's not viral, was it a reaction to something he ate? (my second son has a reaction to citrus fruits)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• We're in the same boat. except my daughter has a yeast rash + a regular diaper rash that won't go away. So my doc told us to get Calmoseptine. It's non perscription, but you have to get it form the pharmacist. It looks like it's the same ingredients as most OTC creams (zinc) but it is *really* *REALLY* thick. After a day of it at every change, it's looking soo much better. It's around $5.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• They didn't say anything about a yeast infection? Codeine for a diaper rash? Both of those things sound odd. Begin treatment with lotrimin and see if that helps. If it doesn't, then you can safely say its not yeast. If it was just a rash, then the ointment would have helped. It doesnt cure it, but it does help keep moisture off of it until it heals. It shouldn't take very long. If its yeast, then those ointments won't work and you need an antifungal cream.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• also air time is good
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• This will sound very crazy, but it works. They sell this ointment at feed stores called Corona. It is an equine salve. It was recommended to me for my daughter's diaper rash/yeast infection and within 2 days it was completely gone. A small tube of it only costs 3.00
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 1:03 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• One time I was out of my vitamin E oil that I usually use on my son's xtra sensitive skin. His rashes appear in a matter of minutes at times. Anyhow, desperate for a temporary solution, I grabbed my tube of Lansinoh lanolin. Yeah, the stuff that soothes sore breastfeeding nipples. Shockingly enough the stuff worked faster and better than anything I've ever used, including the vitamin E oil. Now I still use the vitamin E oil, but I save the lanolin for real nasty rash emergencies.
    Ophy

Answer by Ophy at 10:05 PM on Dec. 17, 2008