Defense of Marriage Act Question...

The Defense of Marriage Act defined marriage nationally between one man & one woman, but allowed each state to further define what is and isn't accepted as to same sex. And allows states to "void" marriages But what I'm wondering is this, there are 19 states which allow first cousin marriages, and in TX only the sex you were born counts (so if you were a man, but have a sex change to a woman and get married to a woman, it's legal, but if you were both born women it's not). Are THESE types of marriages void outside states with allow them as well? Or is it limited to samesex marriage?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 9:42 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• – collapse
    Blogging some more I see.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I have 4 blogs... I am ALWAYS blogging... But this is pure curiosity.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• IDK Gay marriage is legal in my state because we're cool like that =P
    First cousin marriage is just nasty though.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 10:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• This is an interesting question--many things that we can discuss here.
    ANON, you are showing your tacky sarcasm,aren't you? You probably support the DOMA and whaever else discriminates. In other words, you are a knee-jerk right winger?Correct?
    This is your chance to debate.....who are you and what do you expect to accomplsh by your snarky comment?
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:04 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• – collapse
    My goal was accomplished minnesotanotsonice. I irritated you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:36 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• I don't have a clue, but I guess if you want to have a sex change and be gay, you should move to Texas to get married (I wonder it they thought of it that way when they wrote the law). I am curious though, as to which 19 states allow 1st cousin marriages and who's bright idea was it to say "Oh, that's really not so bad, let's allow it."
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:37 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Scout_mom -

http://front.moveon.org/how-many-states-that-ban-gay-marriage-let-you-marry-your-cousin/#.ThRGwGft8gr.facebook

The picture shows which states allow cousin. It was originally printed in the NewYork times, but the "Gay Marriage" one was from before NY passed their allowance.

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 12:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I don't think the Act is named correctly. It does not defend marriage. It limits who is able to receive the benefits associated with marriage.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:46 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Some political laws are based on people's religions, so that could be the case for being able to mate and marry your first cousin. Some are limited to same sex marriages that do allow other laws or do not. Thern there are other places that do allow same sex marriage that also allow (or not allow) still other laws. It's a mixed batch. It really comes down to WHO set the laws and WHY. Most the time it's because protests in that area have happened or bad things have happened (like car accidents while using cell phones while driving in California) for example. Some states allow same sex marriage like Vermont and I'm pretty sure you can also be a transvestite meaning it doesn't matter how you were born, it's who you are now.
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:53 PM on Jul. 11, 2011