Should people who don't pay child support have their Drivers License taken?

I am upset with people who don't pay child support, but doesn't it make it HARDER on them to obtain a good job if they don't have a driver's license!? I think this defeats the purpose and does not help get any money for the child. I think it just makes it harder for the person to find a way for means of support! There have to be other ways to give the incentive to pay - liens on property, fishing & hunting licenses, etc .... But, not the means they need to GET a JOB!!!
What do you think?

isismoon3

Asked by isismoon3 at 9:53 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

Level 66 (1,275,470 Credits)
  • No, b/c we don't hire people who don't have drivers license, so I'd want daddies to have drivers license, so they can get to work to make money to pay child support.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 11:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• So they say they'll take their license?! My ex has stopped paying anything for the past 10years, he still has his license. He's an avid hunter and still has that license. I've been to court and I've been to the Sheriffs office, nothing is ever done because he works under the table! The little questionnaire they have to answer when applying for the license, all they gotta do is check off'" No" (they owe child support) and nothings ever looked into!i agree it makes no sense to take their license but I do think if they repeatedly refuse to pay support for their child, there should be stiff consequences! Like first, Community Services and if that doesn't get their attention then jail time! I swear these dead beat dads have more rights then we do!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 10:24 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• That is what is done in Wisconsin. First, is suspension of DL, hunting, fishing licenses. Then it's jail and or liens on homes, vehicles, ATV's, etc then it's jail time. Wisconsin will also order nonpayers into Families First and they are made to get and keep a job or face jail time. My ex has had his license suspended because of nonpayment of child support. He was about 3 yrs behind at the time, so about $6000. My brother is $40,000 behind and has been in jail for child support 2 times. The only thing keeping him out now is that he is paying something every month, even though he works for cash. If a parent won't pay support then yes, they should be penalized for it. Some parents start paying once jail is looking them in the face.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I am no expert but I am sure it's not like they miss paying one payment & they take their license away. It's more like they have never paid or do not even try to pay something for their child. It's that or jail, so it's an incentive to pay & if you don't, it's jail. It's just like anything else, if you ignore your responsibilities, it only gets worse.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:00 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• That's just stupid! Reminds me of the "debtors prisons" they used to have in the past.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:56 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Oh ok let's make sure they have no ability to earn money for their children. I cannot get past the title, I have a headache now. lol
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• They have to be a certain amount in debt before they take away the driver's license. And if they really want to get to their job and not pay support, they can carpool or take a bus.
    Jenniy

Answer by Jenniy at 10:13 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My ex had his license taken away for being 3 months late. He went to child support enforcement and told them he needed it to work (even though he is military and lives on the base where he works so he really doesn't need it to work) and they gave it right back.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 11:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• yes and no. Its a penalty that comes after a while usually and in a way it gives the state somewhere to grab on to. I do believe that they should be able to apply for "a special liscence that allows them to drive to work and back" and that's it. Like a restricted type of liscence.

The jail time thing I think is a little crazy b/c it disrupts their ability to earn in the first place. I think that should also be gradual. Community service, a "Family first" program and then a wk, 2 wks, a month et. slow build up rather than a whole hear whcih is what my ex got... it ended up costing more b/c he had to drop out of school and I ended up paying for collect calls so that he could maintain a relationship w/the kids (they thought he was working somewhere where you could call like France LOL) and yes I know I did not have to accept calls BUT their relationship counts more to me than the money.
    Anonymous

• Taking a guy's license away is just not a good idea. He needs transportatiom to his job which is a way to pay child support,.....wow, that's so obvious.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:19 AM on Jul. 11, 2011