Anyone know anything about a Paternity Acknowledgment form?

I was going through my son's baby stuff the other day and form the paternity acknowledgment form that me and his bio father signed back in the hospital. I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this. Does it mean my son is legitimized? Or was we suppose to take it to the court and get it turned into a legitimization? Some people wouldn't understand why I am worried about that at this moment. I will say why, but I do not want judgement passed. I just want my question answer or advice. I am going to talk to a lawyer next week, just can't since it is the weekend. The reason I do not want my son legitimized right now is because his bio dad is in the Army & is stationed in Washington(which is literally all the way across the country from us) and my son is only 4. I do not like airplanes and definitely don't want my son on one, even with his bio dad or some stranger who "watches" kids on airplanes. He is coming home next year and not going back, so then would be okay, but not right now. There is a history with his bio dad and women. He cheated on me when I was prego and broke up with me 2 days before I had my son. Then 4 days after he was born, he started dating the girl(while he was at my grandmothers visiting with his son). They dated for almost 3 years, but during that time he was taking my son(during his weekends) to her friends house and getting drunk after the kids were asleep. And leaving him with his girlfriends mom to go out. After I found this out, I stopped letting him take him alone. My son was not even 2 years old I dont think. So then he decided to get engaged and go into the army so they could get a place, etc. Well after he was in there for about a year, she cheated on him and they broke up. Then he went months without even hardly calling or anything to talk to our son. Anyways this is just SOME of the history. Please again do not pass judgement.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• The father signing the Affidavidt of Paternity means that he acknowledges he is the father and he can NOT later ask for a DNA test unless HE pays for it. Child support will not do a DNA test because he signed saying he is the father. The hospital should have filed that form. Talk to the attorney on what you can do, but the bio father should be paying child support, your child has a right to that support. Also, just because he pays support doesnt mean dad gets visitation. that is a separate issue.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:32 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yeah he does pay child support, but not legally. When he gets mad at me, he threatens not to pay. He says he pays out of his heart, not because he has to. I have told him if he does stop, then Ill have to make it legal.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• The answer depends on your state. And is he on the B.C.? If you want C.S. then go through the courts and they will take it out of his checks and there no more I don't "want" to pay etc. And he would have to take you to court for visitation etc. and flying accross the country would NOT be alone... dad would have to fly to and from with him. Also since they don't have a relationship right not you can always ask for a reunification period.
    His history with other women doesn't count at ALL... it has nothing to do with his parenting. Hard to hear but true so I would strongly suggest you don't bring that up in court. That's an ADULT to ADULT issue NOT a parenting issue. (and yes I do understand and yes I've been there -- my children have a 1/2 sibling )
    Re you don't want him on a plane ... sorry but that's not nec. up to you if dad goes for court rights etc. you can't just say well I don't want him on a plane w/o a valid
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• About the other women, in a way it does kind of affect parenting. He was getting drunk with my son there and dropping him off to other people when he only got a limited time with him. That is just a few examples. He was making not so good choices. And when he was gone, he had time to call and skype with her, but not his son. And yes my son could talk with him (not carry a whole conversation at first, but after awhile he got older and could.) He still has only contacted me by texting like 20 times in 6 months. And only called like 5 times. He is just has a job like normal people do now since he is not "on duty". So if he wanted, he could call when he got off. He only does every once in awhile. I dont expect it every day, but at least once a week. I write it down when he does so I can count how many times.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Um,I don't think I have heard of it. Mhy husband and I KNEW who our baby's father was when he was born. It sure makes life easy that way when you are married and have a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Excuse me, I know who my son's father is. We were 16 and not married so there is paperwork to fill out. I am not perfect and neither is anyone else.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 AM on Jul. 11, 2011