No friends

I live in Detroit and it sucks making friends. Most girls here are not into what I am so I try to go places where those ppl would be and then I just feel awkward. I tried a social group and one lady seemed up for making friends and having a outside life but she lied which sucks for me cause it seems like I can not meet people they are off into their corner and I am left in the middle (kinda).

i feel limited in what I can do...I have very limited $$, I have a kid and rarely can get away, I think I am depressing.

I've triend going to churches but that is not my thing and I live near a college campus but most of the students are young and I have already expereinced those things they are doing so I just feel old. I have made a few pals at my college but havent triend to say lets meet up outside of class because I have those barriers (no car, no sitter, and no money). Like who would want to hang w a person that can't do anything?

Advice?
Fun person stuck in a bad situation

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• If I were in Detroit I would. Doing nothing can be good. It can be relaxing. I know how it is to be limited. I just got out of the Army and I don't feel that it is fair that I keep doing a lot of the things I used to do when I worked. You're not in a bad situation, it just feels that way. Things will get better with time. :-)
    LADYSHONDA

Answer by LADYSHONDA at 10:18 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I would just love to have someone local to talk to, do some fun things with, talk over problems, laugh with, get something to eat with...normal things friends do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Try a moms group of some sort, I go to a MOPS group that is awesome and helped me make friends. I know there are all kinds of other moms groups out there.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• try a site called MIRL.....its great to meet local people with your same interset
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 10:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Are there any community groups that you and your child can attend? Our community center had lots of play get togethers and park & rec activities for moms & young kids. That's what we did and it was good for me and my child. Good luck to you!
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 10:43 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I feel the same way. Too bad I'm on the other side of the country. I have ONE friend in this city but she has her own full life, doesn't have any kids, and is now considering moving away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I agree with the above answers about MOPS and other mom groups. Very fun ways to meet other moms :)
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 10:57 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• There are MOPS but non in the Detroit area I would have to travel far to get to one. Detroit doesn't realy have many community centers...this is not the greatest of cities to live in and want to be active with a child.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I know how you feel. I moved to the Denver area 2 years ago and I have no friends and no one local to talk to or hang out with. I have limited money, no sitter and barely have a car to use. If I go anywhere its with my husband and 4 year old daughter. I've tried looking up groups in my area but they all cost money. Thats why I joined this site, in hopes to make some friends in my area or at least find some other moms to talk to no matter how far away they live. I havent had any luck so far. I wish I could offer some advice on how to meet people but I cant seem to do it myself. Just wanted to know that you arent alone. If you ever want to talk, you can messege me even though we live in different states.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 1:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Try a moms group or meetup.com.... You can meet people anywhere, you just have to have the confidence to open your mouth and say HI!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2011