Do you encourage your teens to bring their boy/girl friend over to the house and spend time with your family?

I was not encouraged to bring my boyfriends over although some of my boyfriends' families over the years welcomed me. I can definitely see the benefit of knowing who your children are spending time with.

How were things in your house?

Nonoluna

Asked by Nonoluna at 10:18 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Well, DS is still way too young for dating, but I would encourage him to bring home the people he chooses to date. I want this to be the house where the friends hang out. I want to know the people he's hanging out with. It makes a difference!
    When I was growing up, we hung out at my house a lot, including when I was dating. My high school sweetheart spent a lot of time at my house while I was with my mom, even though my parents hated him. My dad's house, not so much. But I also talked more openly with my mom about things that matter (including birth control and my friends and what was REALLY going on in my life). My dad is more cut off, and probably prefers to think I am still a virgin.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 10:22 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• my son is too young still but i would encourage all of my children to have there bf/gf over .. and thats the way it was for me when i was growing up also. being too strict on your kids doesnt work.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• We were expected to wait til we were over 18 to date. So we had to sneak around to see them.

My kids are free to date once they hit HS, and if they choose to bring them home, they will be welcome in my house, but it's up to them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:29 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yes, I'd rather them be here with us so I know what's going on and who they are with. I've noticed though, most of they're parents don't care!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 10:33 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• When I was growing up my boyfriends and all my friends were invited over to our house. My parents were open and honest with us and that is the way I am with my children. Just the other day my 14 year old had a pool party..we had about 20 kids a mix of girls and boys and they had a great time. I always encourage my kids to bring their friends over because I want to know who they are hanging around with and I don't want them sneaking around behind my back. I have taken my son and his friends to the movies or bowling and then they come over for pizza or burgers. I let them have their space and I'm not always in the same room with them although they know I can walk in at any moment!

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:37 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Actually we've never had to encourage it, they've just always done it. We've always been pretty big on knowing who our kids are hanging out with.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 10:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yes!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:14 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yes. In fact its a rule. They can spend as much time together at any family function as they wanted to because he is supervised. My dd was just in a local pageant and my son brought his long term gf with him and that was their "date" this weekend.

Answer by gemgem at 11:19 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• YES yes yes... we are the house were all the teens are welcome. Their boyfriends and friends know we are a package deal. Summer is always fun! I never have enough food or dry towels (pool) lol.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 11:23 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It better to have them in your home than theirs were there might not be any supervision.

Also it's very importaint to know who is the person they choose to be with.

gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:26 AM on Jul. 10, 2011