School supplies would it make you mad if you found out you were buying other kid's supplies?

I was talking to a friend who is a teacher at my younger brother's school. Apparently, they will be trying something they tried a couple years ago with the school supplies. Basically, each child will get their school supplies list but each list will ask for a few of the supplies to be duplicated (maybe $15 worth). What it won't say is that the duplicates are NOT for that child. They will collect the duplicates and then divvy then up amongst the children who's parents couldn't buy school supplies. Now, I really wouldn't have a problem with this but they except that they don't put on the list that those extra supplies aren't for your child, or that it's optional so parents buy them thinking that they are needed for their own children. They also expect them to buy about $40 worth of paper towels hand, sanitizers, tissues and other things like that and there are 15-20 kids per class. Personally, I just think it's wrong because just because a parent can afford their own kid's school supplies, that doesn't mean they can afford everyone else's. When my DD goes into school the year after next, I will send in her supplies with her name on it in permanent marker and if I can afford to donate a few extra things to go to other children I will but if I can't, I certainly won't feel bad about only providing for my child.

JLS2388

Asked by JLS2388 at 10:56 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I thought it was common knowledge school supplies are shared anymore.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• No, my mom along with most parent assumed that the stuff she was buying for my brother was for my brother. It doesn't say on the list that "here are the supplies we want you to buy for your kid, here are the ones we want you to buy for other kids
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• All the supplies here are shared supplies- the only thing that is There's is their back pack and pencil box. I send what I can off of the list each year. Last year I was sending in supplies a few at a time for a month.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:02 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My kids school has certain things that are personal, such as scissors and pencil boxes and others that are for every one, such as paper, crayons, pencils, glue, sanitizer, and such. But we were informed and when the supplies go on sale, we buy a lot and "donate" next year.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 11:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• a lot of schools do that now. and i wouldn't recommend writing your DD's name on anything because they will still take it and put it into the community pool that is shared between all the kids. the other supplies (tissues, hand sanitizer, etc) are necessities that the children will use that just aren't in the school's budgets any more. think about it this way: would you rather have the school spend money on hand sanitizer OR would you prefer they spend money on educational tools for your child to use??

i would much rather buy a large jug of hand sanitizer and know that my DD's class was stocked with educational toys/games/etc.

Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 11:03 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• – collapse
    I never heard of sharing school supplies. I wouldn't send extra in b/c I could use that extra money for something else my child needs. Let me guess, the childrens parents that can't afford them probably get free school breakfasts + lunches...Just saying
    hazeleyezmommy

Answer by hazeleyezmommy at 11:04 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• In fact you can *tell* it is shared but he fact that they are sooo specific. ' 2 crayola markers 8 count' ' 2 crayola crayons 16 count' 'yellow number 2 pencils. ' 1 each 2 pocket folder with brads of each color red, blue, yellow, green.' ' 3 black and white marble composition notebooks' '1 pair of fiskers blunt tip scissors' ect...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:06 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Well, until this year our school had never asked us to buy anything. But since Gov. Dick cut their budget by MILLIONS they are going to have to have parents supply something eventually - although as of yet we haven't been asked for anything - In fact all the kids going in to Kindergarten were just gifted Bookbags by the school. BUT, I still always buy a pack of crayons and pencils for every class member.

I would assume if the school is asking you to send things in that they would be for everyone, not just your child. If you want your child to have their own, buy name tags for everything. They aren't expensive ( I get 140 tags for $4 through VistaPrint) then you don't have to worry about sharing or anything. But I look at it this way, I want ALL the kids to have the best, not just my own, and if I can, why would I not provide for everyone?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:07 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Oh the tissues and things like that, I think that's great that they have those and since my kid will help use them, I would have no problem contributing to them, but when I am asked to send in an extra pair of scissors or an extra set of folders or things like that and then not told that they are not for my kid I think it's wrong. The don't "share" schools supplies, each kid has their own at their desk.
    JLS2388

Comment by JLS2388 (original poster) at 11:09 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• There are core things that are the childs alone and then there are things that are pulled together and shared among all of the students. I don't see the big deal. As long as my childs needs are being met I don't really see why this is an issue.

"I never heard of sharing school supplies. I wouldn't send extra in b/c I could use that extra money for something else my child needs. Let me guess, the childrens parents that can't afford them probably get free school breakfasts + lunches...Just saying"

So what?
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:11 AM on Jul. 10, 2011