Can anyone explain to me the difference between National, General or Regular and Southern Baptists?

What are the MAJOR differences anyways...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:21 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• They are all groups of Baptists that organized for one reason or another. Within each group you will find a broad range of churches ranging from more conservative to more liberal.

At one time the General Association of Regular Baptist Churches was one of the more conservative groups - but I think that is really changing. Maybe overall they will tend to be more conservative - but there is still a mixture.

American Baptist tends to be more liberal - in general. Like all of them I am sure there is a mixture in their organization.

Southern Baptist is a very mixed bag. The one thing I know of that is slightly different is that their mission agency sends out missionaries fully supported. If the church gives money to missions, it usually goes to the entire organization. Missionaries to not travel around raising support in individual churches.

Not sure about National.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• There are no MAJOR differences. They are the same religion with slightly different ways of praising God.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I am Southern Baptist - I don't think there really are any MAJOR differences. Baptists believe in the "priesthood of the believer" so the preacher doesn't ever tell us what to think, they only give us their thoughts on the Bible and encourage us to study on our own.

Answer by missanc at 8:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Where I live, the Regulars are extremely conservative. The men pretty much rule with an iron fist and the women are submissive, meek litttle mice. (No offense, that's just how it is around here). The women wear only dresses or skirts, they do not cut their hair, they do not wear make-up or jewelry...except their wedding band. Even if you have already been baptized, you have to be "baptized into their church" if you want to join.
    The Southerns are big on missionaries. They are not charismatic in that they do not believe in speaking in tongues or prophesying. You get the same salvation message every week and they sing the same 5 or 6 songs every week. I know this because my dh is a Southern and I've attended services with him.
    I don't know anything about the other two you mentioned, sorry.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2011