Will you tell your kids?

Will you tell your kids the true meaning of Christmas this year and it being about celebrating the birth of Jesus? Or, will you just get together and open presents forgetting about the reason we celebrate Christmas in the first place?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I just had this debate with my mom a few days ago. I think Christmas is a fun game. Biblical scholors say that Jesus was more then likely born in the fall, because it was a tax time and sleeping in a barn doesn't seem very likely in the dead of winter, so I don't think Christmas is a celebration of Jesus's birth. Have you ever looked for or noticed that no where in the bible does it mention the celebrating of any of Jesus's birthdays?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• BOTH! Yes I do get my son gifts BUT I also instill the meaning of Christmas to my son. I make sure no matter how broke I am that he takes a toy to the Firestation and help the needy. I teach him that it is such a blessing to have his Grandma and Uncle and cousins, he goes to Catechism and mass every Sunday where he learns even more about the birth and miracle of Jesus Christ. So yes we open presents and yes we do understand the celebration of our savior being born.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 2:58 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• As a biblical follower of Yeshua (Jesus) I won't be celebrating Christmas at all. I'll be doing what He was doing in the winter - celebrating Hanukkah. See John 10:22. At Sukkot (Feast of Tabernacles) we do celebrate His birth because it is in the fall when He was likely born - when the census likely took place. That Feast foreshadowed His coming to "tabernacle" among us - meaning He came to live in a temporary dwelling, His human body - so it makes sense He was most likely born then. At Hanukkah He said He is the light of the world (John 8) and the shamash candle is the servant candle that is used to light all of the other candles. It makes sense then for Him to have declared Himself the light of the world. Christmas is just the day pagans celebrated the rebirth of the sun god and Constantine decided that "Jesus' birth" should be celebrated. That's the truth I'll be telling my children.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:03 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I understand about the dates and all that but it doesn't bother me. Veterans day ALWAYS falls on Nov. 11th. and Thanksgiving is ALWAYS on a different date.......... The Christmas spirit is always celebrated this time of year and so I let it be.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I just told my toddlers the whole story about Baby Jesus and Christmas. My oldest who is 3, listened the whole time and then at the end asked if God gave presents. I looked at her and said "honey, God gave the earth Jesus", "He gave us his baby on Christmas, and that baby grew up to a man that did a great thing for all of us". I didn't really want to go much further into depth then that- didn't find it necessary to tell a 3 year old much more right now. However, she focused on the "God gave us Jesus" part- because she looked me right in the face, as serious as can be, and said "No No Mommy- Landlord says NO babies and NO puppies!"....LOL
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 3:08 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Aww babybean : ( that's sweet and sad. Growingmama I understand your point of view also. Christmas is just this....... It is what it means to a certain person or family. It is what it means to the most religious person and to the most materialistic person. The important thing is NOT trying to make people believe what you believe (unless it is your children of course). Everyone deals with this holiday season differently, Hanakkah (sp) I've seen it spelled Chanukah, Kwanza,
    Christianity and Catholicism. I do know this, it is a wonderful time of year where ppl seem to want to give and help, YET it seems to balance itself out with ppl being rude at stores and trampling others just to get a good deal. SIGH! Christmas is what WE make of it for OUR children.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 3:25 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• We do both. We're getting pictures with Santa, but I'm trying to instill in my toddler's head that Christmas is Jesus' birthday, and that we give each other presents to celebrate his birthday. Jesus is the focus, we read the bible story before opening presents. But I also don't see anything wrong with enjoying the presents and santa element.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:18 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Yes, we talk about he birth of Christ and they are in the nativity at church. And we are going to buy gifts for a needy family so they'll learn about giving.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 5:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• We already do both...we celebrate Christmas as well as attend church...we speak about Jesus A LOT in our home..
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 8:29 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• no i wont bring it up at all to my 3 yr old, he would not grasp the concept besides the fact that the star or Jerusalem in the year of jesus' birth would have only been visible in JUNE (Hence Jesus was Born in June...)  ... we celebrate Xmas in Dec. in an attempt to overtake the old pagan winter holiday. we talk about Santa, being good, flying reindeer, toy making elves, i think there is a lot to learn from Jesus but don'tneed to change his b-day to do so... i think a lotta aspects of Christianity like changing his birthday, are pretty wacky!

AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:06 AM on Dec. 17, 2008