Help with 16 year old.

My Son friends use to come around to our house. My husband has stop them from coming round because consider them a bad influence on my Son. Some of these boys have been getting in the trouble with the police and getting expel from school .

Now my Son goes out to see them and coming back late.

My concern is what is he doing when he's out there with these boys that are his friends. When they were coming round at least I knew what he was up to.

Please give me some advice cafemoms

crystalripple

Asked by crystalripple at 11:33 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• My view on the thing is pretty strict. 'You are who you hang out with". Kids don't understand this. And, your son is probably a good kid, but he will be "seen" as a bad kid if he keeps these friends. he may even be talked into participating in the very things his friends are getting in trouble over. It think that until they are 18 and supporting themselves, our job is to make sure that they make it through the teen years educated, out of trouble, and preparing themselves for success.
    So, he's probably not gonna like it, but if those boys are bad, it is certainly okay for you to put your foot down and not allow him to associate with them.
    To help this, help him get a job and join clubs. Impose restriction unless grades are A or B. 11PM curfew. If he misses it, he gets no gas or spending money for the next week.
    The strict nature of this will motivate him to work toward a future, so he can really have adult freedom.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I can see myself in your situation in a few years.
    Here's a bump...
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Have you let your son know WHY you don't trust these boys, WHY you don't like him being around them??

He's 16 - is he involved in anything? Have him volunteer time at a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, etc.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:51 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Us parents need a lot of sympathy !
    crystalripple

Comment by crystalripple (original poster) at 11:40 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Is he coming back after curfew? He is going to keep doing it unless u stop him!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I am just telling you pray on it and if it comes back and your still worried maybe then you need to sit him down and let him know what he is doing is not acceptable and it has to change because when he looks back on it if he is doing wrong he will regret the choices he is making today
    alcia_08

Answer by alcia_08 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2011