White spots on sons teeth???

My 6yr old son has white spots on some of his teeth around the gum line.He is autistic and i do have difficulty brushing his teeth properly.I can not get him to understand how to rinse his mouth out.He does have a dental appointment next month.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• There's no reason to panic, since he has a dental appointment next month. They are probably areas of decalcified enamel. Fluoride treatments are the usual way to deal with them.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:39 AM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yes, probably the enamel issue or plaques build-up. The dentist should be able to give him good cleaning and possibly a flouride varnish. Good luck mama.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It sounds like decalcification and I think it can be either white or brown spots/staining. You can buy a calcium fortified paste (Recaldent GC Paste) that you apply onto the teeth after regular brushing, let it soak for at least 3 mins, then spit it out but do not rinse with water. I would ask your dentist about this at the next visit as I'm not sure if this is safe for young kids to use. Also, use an antiseptic mouth rinse to help keep germs away. You may also ask the dentist about using Colgate Phos-Flur, which is a mouth rinse designed for those wearing braces to keep white spots away. It's available over the counter at about $12 for a 16 oz bottle. Google these items and consult your dentist before using on your son.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 12:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My oldest son has these as well. They are fluoride stains. When he was a toddler, it was really popular to give them fluoride tablets or drops. Unfortunately, too much causes the teeth to come in with white spots or streaks. There's not much you can do until they are older and can have bonding applied.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My dentist had me using that Recaldent paste mentioned above. If it is safe to use on a child you could ask your dentist about a tray to put the paste in and then the child could wear it rather than just putting it on the teeth for a few minutes. It may be easier on your son that way, it really makes your mouth water.
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• WHITE SPOTS JUST MEAN FLOURIDE ON THE TEETH. NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT.. ALSO IF HE HAS ADULT TEETH COMING IN THEY ALWAYS LOOK DIFFERNET THEN THE BABY ONES. MY SIL IS A HYGENIST AND IT IS NORMAL FOR WHITE SPOTS! WHITE THOUGH, NOT BROWN!
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 11:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2011