I would like advice on dealing with Sensory Processing Disorder

kimmie34

Asked by kimmie34 at 12:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok, what do you need to know?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Not everyone is the same. Please elaborate so we can offer specific advice.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• That's pretty broad... If you can give us a little more detail about your specific questions or challenges we might be able to come up with some good ideas! Knowing your childs age would help as well.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I have a son with SPD..a great book to read that will help you understand the disorder Is The Out of Sync Child Carol Kranowitz and Lucy jane Miller. There is also a second book called The out of sync child has fun that is full of ideas and actvities that will help your child and you with deeling with their sensory issues.

LadySaphira

Answer by LadySaphira at 12:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My daughter is 20 months. I think the biggest problem I am having with her is huge temper tantrums, hitting, and biting. When I try to discipline her for biting and hitting, she starts hitting herself and lets out ear splitting screams. We just recently found out that she has SPD and I had never heard of it before so any suggestions are helpful. She has trouble talking so that is where some of the tantrums come from (not understanding what she wants). My daughter-in-law is teaching all of us sign language, and that has helped but it is a very slow process. She started OT last week and I am told that helps alot too.
    kimmie34

Comment by kimmie34 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• there is a group that i am in , in here autism across the spectrum they have really great people in there with all kinds of advice they have been very helpful with my daughter situation and i am sure there are some children over there diagnosed SPD
    WildCat73

Answer by WildCat73 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2011