What was your worst experience at a hotel?

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 12:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Travel

• Dirty comforter on the bed and a big hole in the wall where the shower was.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• We just stayed in a crappy hotel in MI for 2 nights. We switched rooms once, then had nothing but problems in the second. It was ridiculous. I wrote an email as soon as we got home, and we recieved a free night stay voucher....made me more angry actually.

mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 12:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• NYC - My dad booked this hotel that over looked the Madison Square Garden. "The Pennsylvania." The lobby looked great. Once we got into the room - OH GARBAGE!!! It was old, outdated, and dirty. The widow shade opened to the view of a brick wall. There were no plug sockets in the nasty  bathroom, and the bed my mom and I slept on - BROKE. We all felt gross. Luckily that stay only lasted one night. My dad checked out the next morning, and we spent the rest of our NYC stay at the Marriott on Times Square. Yeah, that was MUCH BETTER. lol

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 12:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My sister and I were staying at a Marriott in Leon, France. The man working there proceeded to drink with all of the hotel staff in the lobby, They all got drunk, and thought it would be funny to take advantage of some American women. We enetered the hotel lobby and headed straight toward the elevator. The men came and blocked the elevator door open, and said vile things with their heavy French accents. My sister and I said no, tried to avoid eye contact, but we were stuck. Then, and American man entered the lobby and saw what was going on. He challeneged the hotel staff and got them to back off. The man from the hotel said, "I know where you sleep." And started laughing.
    It was FRIGHTENING! We were told that the overall thought about Americans was not that positive. Made me rethink visiting foreign countries without a man in tote.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 12:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• The Sheraton Four Points in East Stroudsberg, PA, about a dozen years ago. It was an old motel converted into a hotel. My first floor room had a concrete slab floor that must have been 40 degrees. With the heat on full blast it was still frigid. After shivering for two hours the first night, I called for more blankets. They brought one. An hour later, I called for another blanket. The mattress was absolutely shot, too, and this was the only available local hotel for the site's emergency visit. On my last day of the business trip, as I was packing, they were coming in to swap out the mattress for a new one. I was so annoyed by that after suffering through three days on the old one.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• lol i used to work at a hotel so i have lots of horror stories! i worked in a hotel with 254 rooms and we only had 2 floors but we didnt have an elevator since the hotel was built in the 30's! u wont believe how lazy people are!!! they always complained to go up one flight of stairs and we had a bell boy so its not like they had to carry anything! `i had one man yell at me and then want me to carry his bags upstairs when i was 8 months pregnant with my daughter! and thing is that we always filled up the first floor first and then put people upstairs! just remember to never take ur problems out on the staff its always the management that is causing the real problems!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My husband had to work for the weekend 6 hrs away, so we decided to leave our son with my mother and make it a little get away. Decided to save money and stay at a cheap hotel. We checked in and a few minutes later heard people above with loud music, and then the man yelling at the woman. My husband complained to the manager(who was still there).. minutes later the manager told the guy WE had complained the the man started threatening to stab my husband! Needless to say we left and got our money back. The manager was blaming us.

We never skimp on the hotels anymore, we usually book in advance with priceline to save money but stay at a 3 star hotel at the very least, less chance of something like this happening,
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Worst stay in a hotel ever was when I was in high school and we were staying at one while my dad was going through some treatments for his cancer. They released him from the hospital with some type of catheter he could remove himself the next day, the gave him instructions, etc. (WTF they were thinking at UVA with that, IDK). My mom checked on him the next morning when he'd been in the bathroom for a long time and he was hardly conscious trying to clean blood off the entire bathroom from the catheter not deflating or something properly. He almost died before the ER did anything.

Worst stay as far as the condition of the room was our wedding night. I paid for the best room in our little town (had a jacuzzi, fireplace, etc.) and the second time we started to get in the tub, it was covered in ants. Went to the front desk and they offered ant spray. Had to fight to get another, cheaper room, then took weeks to get my money back.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• We checked in, went to our room, opened the door and there were people in there! They gave us a new room but it wasn't cleaned yet, so they finally gave us a clean room that was not already occupied.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My mom booked a hotel online through a third-party site (won't name names) when we came to my current city to look for apartments when I was moving up here. She booked at a well-known mid-range hotel (again, won't name names).

The hotel was just... not nice... to start with. The area wasn't great, there were lots of people smoking all over the hotel, someone's huge dog was outside the outdoor entrance to the hotel room (unexpected) and jumped at us everytime we came in/out (then proceded to bark all night). All these things would stink for me personally but not reflect necessarily on the hotel.

But the room was just... not quite clean. It didn't FEEL clean, you know?

And then there was this GIANT BUG, right on my bed. I FREAKED out. We saw two more bugs. We went to check out a day early and since we booked through the third party site we couldn't get money back for the second night. We left anyway. Yikes.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:42 PM on Jul. 11, 2011