How do I know who to trust to babysit?

I am moving to a new town and am not sure how to go about finding a babysitter for like date night or anything like that, even if I decide to get a job a couple days a week. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in General Parenting

• babysitting services, especially ones who let you interview the sitters. They're all over the phonebook. But that's what i'd do before trusting some teenage neighbor.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I'd make some friends or SOMETHING before thinking about going out. Now that I'm a mom I'm surprised I ever got hired at 15. I would NEVER leave my kids with a 15 yr old!!! Your mommy instincts will normally give the nay or yea on these types of problems. I would look for people advertising for babysitting and then look up a really thorough interview criteria.

MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 3:05 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• We opt not to use sitters. None. After developing longterm friendships (several years) I will leave mine with these friends for a couple of hours for emergency type things, but never with teens. Teens today are not what they were when we were teens. Most have no idea how to control themselves much less babies or children.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:09 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• your womans intuition will kick in dear like there's no tomorrow :) use it, with that being said i would go to the baby sitting services b4 I'd let some teenage girl come in & "watch" my kid, call the daycare centers too they will steer you in the right direction :) good luck

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 8:15 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I found my sitters through the local high school. I talked to the secertary, (sp) and she lead me to teachers who also are leaders of clubs and such. If you find a junior or senior who is involved with clubs, and makes good grades, there is less likely to be problems. Their teachers know who is a good kid, and who isn't. Good Luck!
    my4lads

Answer by my4lads at 11:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• if its a teenager in the neighborhood assk for refrences of other families she had babysat for and ask those ppl and if you get a good vibe there you go
    Shannon85

Answer by Shannon85 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Most places have a child care council of some sort. They are the ones who allow you to become a daycare provider. They do backround checks, they make sure the home and everybody in it is safe. they will give out provider information and you can then interview which ever one you think will work best for.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 2:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2008