Opinions please....

Due to having family everywhere from out of town to out of state. They all wanna see pictures of the kids. I am an avid Facebook users to save cost on phone bills to keep up with everyone. Since the hubster and I don't like putting up to many pictures of the kids on facebook due to unwated problems we decided to open a facebook and make it private for family ONLY. We even set rules for the family members on the page letting them know we wont tolerate any problems or bad remarks on this page. It was for the childern. And if they can't follow the rules they will be deleted. (We live in south. You have to be blunt when it comes to some rednecks. lol) We only set rules for the safety of the kids. Well some friends are getting offended because we set it to private and wont add them on. The whole reason why we opened it up was for family to be able to see them and print out photos for their personal albums and such. We still put up a few pictures on our personal pages for friends. Are we being selfish or rude by not letting friends on our faimly only page??

ChacesMom

Asked by ChacesMom at 12:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• no not at all. i think having a family page with more pictures of the kids for "just family" is a great ideal! i never thought of it :)
    ciaras_mom_05

Answer by ciaras_mom_05 at 12:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

•  Your friends should understand that you want your kids pictures Safe- i don't think you are being Rude..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• No you aren't. Frankly, if you have a FB account for friends, it's weird they are getting upset.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 12:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• No. I think it's a wonderful idea to have a page, either on Facebook or Shutterfly or Photobucket, etc that is private only for family so they can print pictures. I think I may do that for our far away relatives.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I have a friend who has a family web site. It helps her keep in touch with family and such. She only gives the website to family and no one else needs to know about it. Maybe that could be an option for you too? I think you can make the site secure by setting a password for pics and such. It's kinds like her family blog!
    I don't think it's rude and I do agree with Donna that it's not fair for others to see it's there and not let them be part and I understand that that's not what you intended. I'm sorry your friends are not being understanding of you wishes.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• there is no reason for them to be getting upset
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 12:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• No, your friends are being rude for insisting that they be allowed to view your family only page. If they are really your friends, then they should understand your position and respect it.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I don't understand why anybody would have a problem with what you've done. I have friends that do the same thing. They post almost no kid pics on Facebook but have another website they use for only relatives to see updates and pictures of their kids.
    cege

Answer by cege at 12:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• No. I see it as you can have multiple accounts for different purposes. If you had a FB account to network with other professionals you would not let your family in as a "friend" to add comments or post photos.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• There are websites strickly for pics that you can upload and create albums. Then allow your family access to them. Its not a social network like facebook, strickly for pictures....then no one can be offended, and you can still protect who can see you children's pics. I know one of them in Snapfish. I think you can do it through CVS and Walgreens too.
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 1:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011