Sunday school/ worship times at your church

I've never been a church member. When I was a child I went a few times with friends, as a teen I would go to youth group with a religious friend but never to actual services. This sounds funny I know, but I don't know how church works. LOL I looked at the websites of a few I'd like to try and they all list Sunday School at like 9 a.m. and then worship at 10. Part of my reasoning for putting church off for so long is that I think of trying to get my 3 kids to sit through worship service and it's a nightmare. I guess I expected that Sunday school was something the kids did while adults were at worship?? One of the churches clarified that there was Sunday school at 9 for kids and one for adults. I wonder if some people just attend Sunday school and not worship? Then we could all go at the same time. Someone told me that Sunday school may be at 9 but there is likely some sort of childcare during worship service. I don't want to just send the kids off though, I want them to learn too.

Anyways, to all you church goers, how does it work at your church?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• My church has no Sunday School. The kids go to services with the parents. We have mass on Saturday's at 5pm and on Sunday's at 8 and 1030 am.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Most churches I have been to have children's church (or what I consider to be Sunday school) during the adults service - broken down by different age groups. The breakdown depends on the size of the church. Smaller churches may have toddlers, preschoolers, k-2, 3-5, etc. while bigger ones may have one group per grade. We drop off our son in his classroom, then go to our worship and service, then go pick him up.

What you're reading about I think is actual teachings with "Sunday School" for YES, both children and adults, and then the worship would be the normal service - and I'm not sure, but maybe they have separate child care for that. I've never been to a church that has the adult Sunday school thing though.
    Anonymous

• Oh yeah, larger churches also have several "repeats" of the same service to accomodate more people. For example, ours has a service at 7, 9:30, 11:15am, and also one at 6pm. These are all the same - but lets you decide what time is best for you.
    Anonymous

• In our church there are two languages spoken, so depending on which group you are in it works differently (don't get me started on how stupid that is!)
    The Ukrainian kids have Sunday school an hour before the Divine Liturgy and everyone participates in worship together. Their instruction is AMAZING and is run by the sisters..but you have to speak Ukrainian.
    The English kids have Sunday school during the first half of the Liturgy and arrive at the offering of the gifts (after the sermon). It is taught by some junior high girls and they mostly do crafts and colouring sheets.
    I don't believe in removing my kids from the Liturgy unless absolutely necessary so they don't participate in the Sunday school, we keep them in the service with us. I do my own "sunday school" with my kids at home.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 1:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My church has service on Sat at 4 and Sunday at 7:30, 9 and 11:00. (their all the same mass but you can choose what one fits your schedule) For Sunday school (or CCD) it's on Sunday from October to April. (usually ends the week before Easter) There at different times that you can sign you kids up for, againg one that fits you schedule. Thir usually at 9:30, 10:40, 5:00 and 7:30. Each time has 1 class for each grade, 1-10. when you sign up you write what time you would like and they try to accomadte you. If not they go to your second choice.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• we have Sunday school for children & adults at 9 am (we usually dont go) and then worship service at 10am. there is a nursery for kids age 0-3 & a Bible hour (children's church) for kids 4-2nd grade. the kids in Bible hour learn lessons & basically have a child focused worship service.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• We have church services at 8:30, 9:45, and 11. We have Sunday School classes at 9:45 and 11. Our church has a children's church for kids where they kids go into the regular Sanctuary with their parents, then about 1/3 of the way through the service during one of the songs, the kids exit and go to children's church where they have a Bible story geared to their level, along with some songs, and usually a game. My kids love it and have a great time. It's the same church I've been at since I was 10, but I don't think I would be going if they didn't have services for my kids (our children's church runs from age 4 up through 5th grade, 3 and under has a nursery, but 6th graders and up sit in the regular service)

Answer by missanc at 8:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Our Sunday school starts at 10. We have classes for all age groups. Worship starts at 11. We have Super Church for the kids and the little ones stay in the nursery. The pastor asks that if you are 12 (it may be 10, I'm not sure) and above, that you stay in the sanctuary for the worship service.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 8:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• when I was going to a Lutheran church all Sunday school was before service(adults and kids) so families could be in service together. I now go toa non denoninational church and they havs Sunday school for kids during service
    RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 10:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Church at 9:30a & 6p year round. Sunday School is only from September through May, after the morning service is over.
    Anonymous