For all you "late nighters" who are awake at the moment....How do you?

How do you make yourself fall asleep? What techniques do you use? Do you suffer from insomnia? If so, is it stress related? I lay awake late nights and even though I am exhausted,I can't sleep cause my mind is going 1,000 mph.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i usually either have the tv on or the radio on..i find that if i try to sleep in dead silence i start thinking to much and then i go over stories or different situations in my head, and i cant get to sleep at alllllll...tv or music kinda distracts my brain i guess..lol..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:11 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I stay awake till I fall asleep. **grin** I've never been one to sleep too many hours a night anyway; more than six and I'm useless. I have to be very ill to sleep long stretches.

I've neve used techniques of ay kind. I'm either writing or watching a TV show till I doze off. Then I head up to bed. But I never go to bed before I've already dozed off once; I'm sure to stay up all night that way.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• With me, it's just pregnancy. I'm 37 weeks and I don't sleep at the end of pg. I normally go to bed between 11 and 1 so I'm a night owl anyway, but right now I'm more likely to go to bed at 2-4am. When I'm ready I just lay down and sleep. It's not stress that keeps me awake. I don't have trouble falling asleep when I'm sleepy, I just am not sleepy yet. :-) Once asleep I will sleep for 6-8 hours. Even at 37 weeks I don't always wake to go to the bathroom! If I tried to go to sleep before I was sleepy I would be miserable.
    GrowingMama

Answer by GrowingMama at 3:13 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I don't really use any techniques. I have massive insomnia! ALways have- I think mine is indeed fueled from Stress, but mostly anxiety. I have alot of anxiety! Plus my DH works nights a few nights a week, and those are the nights I stay up all night. When he is home I feel safer and so I can go to bed with him @ like 11pm. When he is not home though I will be up till like 6 am. Don't really know what to do with my anxiety. I have tried many things with no fix to it.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 3:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I am just a night owl and have to be for my husbands work schedule
    Married2theBest

Answer by Married2theBest at 3:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• masturbate. WHAT? I am serious...it is very calming. Try it.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 3:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I do this thing that people do at the end of yoga (it put me to sleep during yoga, so I figured why not at home). You lie on your back in "dead body position" with your legs slightly spread and your arms on the floor (bed) next to you. And then we would relax, first your feet and then legs, then butt, then tummy, then arms, then chest, then head. We also would tense those body parts for a moment and then relax them, so we could feel the difference between tense and really relaxed. Afterwards, I will just lay there and think about only my breathing, deep from your abdomen. I don't know if it's the relaxing that puts me to sleep, or the boredom that stems from thinking about only my breathing, but it works either way.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:33 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I... lay in bed and close my eyes.
    Super helpful, I know.
    My biggest problem is making my brain shut up.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:36 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I do as I advise my children that sometimes complain of having problems going to sleep to do... lay there and think up either stories, math problems, or anything that will make your mind go somewhere other than what has, is, or will go on in your life.  What happens most often to me is I fall asleep trying to focus on this answer to that math problem or the details and twist to that story plot. Right now I would be asleep, however today was a long day and my husband fell asleep so much earlier than normal... and is not being quiet *wishes for ear plugs*.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 3:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I work PM shifts at the hospital so when I'm off sometimes I still stay up most of the night.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 5:44 AM on Dec. 17, 2008