How many years will it take for the U.S. economy to recover and become strong again?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 1:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• The following quote seems realistic but I would add a couple more years to that.

"Federal Reserve officials now fear that the U.S. economy will take at least five or six years to fully recover from the biggest economic downturn since the Great Depression.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• The answer is dependent on how long it takes the American people to wake up to the consequences of progressivism.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 1:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It's all dependent on future legislation and spending.

Even if we were to get on the right track and start moving in the right direction toward recovery, I wouldn't really expect things to be strong again for at least another 6-7 years. Possibly 10. JMO.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I think we have always been a resilient country. I also think that in many cases we tend to live and counted on innovation, productivity and superior education in the past. It seems over the years we have backed away from what makes us great and concentrate on what makes us rich quickly with very little consequence and accountability. I think once we get back to strengthening our foundation, such as education, and production,

emilysmom1966

Answer by emilysmom1966 at 4:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Ahhh! I had a long response typed out, and IE took a dump. Frustrating.

In short, agree with Quinn. It will be at least 8 years before we are calling the economy "strong" again. Probably closer to 10.

The next two presidents, whoever they may be, are going to be ripped apart, as the citizens grow more impatient.

But, we started this mess 15 years ago, and it cannot be fixed overnight.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:33 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Im not sure if we ever will.
    GypsyMoon605

Answer by GypsyMoon605 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Not for a long long time.
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 1:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• But, we started this mess 15 years ago, and it cannot be fixed overnight.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama 29

Where do you come up with the 15 yr figure? Try 100.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• That depends on how long it takes the gov't to get their heads out of their asses.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• backed away from what makes us great and concentrate on what makes us rich quickly with very little consequence and accountability.

I agree with you but I would change that to "what makes us feel good"
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2011