Do you think a child can have too many toys?

How many is too many? How often do you clean out your child's toy box?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Yes. After birthdays and Xmas, the kids and I go through the closets and pick out stuff to give away to other kids who don't have as much.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yes! Before we moved DD had a whole closet full plus she had toys scattered around her bedroom. Never again will I allow so many toys. And I cleared some out twice a year. Problem was I'd pick some out to give away and she would complain that it was her "favorite" toy. So I'd allow her to keep it and pick something else. One large trash bag full a couple times a year was still not enough to keep it under control. And honestly, she didn't play with her toys that much. She still complained that she was bored.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 1:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• yes, my kids at one time did. I go in every month and sort their toys and get rid of broken ones or ones they out grown i donate
    GypsyMoon605

Answer by GypsyMoon605 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yes! I think children can have too many toys. I have noticed if I give my child a choice between two toys he can settle on one easily. If left to pick between all the toys in the playroom....the ability to chose declines. My general rule is toys belong only in the playroom and no other room in the house. If toys can't fit in the playroom we have no business owning them or we need to make room by donating toys and clearing out space. Although we have a five bedroom home and could easily have toys all around - keeping their designated home in the playroom is a much better alternative than allowing my home to become something mistaken for a toy store.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Ugh! Yes they can! My 4 kids have sooooo many toys and I have a husband who can't let things go! He's a work in progress! Together I work with him and the kids to let things go. DH will let things go on certain terms, if someone else truly needs it or if I'm selling it. Being broken is not enough for him, he can fix it! ugh Our basement is holding onto the toys that the older 2 have outgrown and are waiting for the younger 2 to use. I am trying to win against the toy mess though. The kids have clear bins under their beds and in their closets so they can see the toys and not have to tear everything apart to find them. They put them away when they're done with them. The older kids pick what they've out grown and it goes in the basement. As the younger kids outgrow stuff I put it in the donate or mom 2 mom sale pile. I hope that one day our home with be toy free! lol
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• yes they can....my step grand children have EVERYTHING! thanks to their paternal grandparents...we cannot buy them anything because they already have it. Those 2 kids each have their own room at their other grandparents house filled with toys and even have mini ponies over there and then what they have at home there is NOTHING we can buy them and they also have tons of clothes. It is irritating to say the least
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 8:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yes, a child can have too many toys. Too many toys would consider on how many kids there are in the home or frequently coming to visit. My son and my step son share a dresser and a toy box. The top drawer of the dresser is books, the second small cars and men .. so on and so forth. But since i live with my three cousins, they all share boxes as well. theres toys always somewhere.
    juggalo_mommi

Answer by juggalo_mommi at 9:24 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yes I do.
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 12:21 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Yes, we clean out toys once a month to get rid of broken toys and ones they've out grown.
    mandarose

Answer by mandarose at 8:19 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• My son has a lot of stuff it is organized and he always has something to do. We do purge and donate the toys he has outgrown. His friends parents have said my son is spoiled he has so much stuff. He is an only child and the only grand child on my husbands side so the family can easily afford to buy him what they want to buy him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jul. 11, 2011