Do you know where your recycling goes?

Watch this before you answer:

Frontline: Digital Dumping Ground

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:52 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• wow...the government doesn't destroy their hard drive? How stupid!

My FIL is a computer nerd. He builds, fixes & does everything computer. When he built us a new computer a few months back, he advised us NOT to donate it (which is what i was going to do) & gave an explanation that i didn't really pay attention to. He suggested to throw it away in the trash & we did destroy our hard drive. I thought my DH & FIL were kind of nuts & paranoid. I honestly wanted to donate our computer. Crazy....i guess i should have payed attention to FIL, seems like he knew what he was talking about. I hated trashing it, but maybe that was a better idea? IDK...wow....some crazy info on that video...that is just nuts!

All our recycling is brought to the recycling center at the dump.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:45 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• obviously, i was talking about donating our old computer....just wanted to clarify.
    samurai_chica

• Yes, I've asked.

In most places it is illegal to just trash your electronics. With the last computer that we did something with - we wiped the memory, removed the hard drive and drove nails through it, and donated the components to our local school where they rebuild them in a skills class for special ed. students. New hard drives are donated from another source.
    Anonymous

• In most places it is illegal to just trash your electronics.

Yep, the majority of those 30' piles of electronics in the video are there "illegally"
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:01 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Wow. Scary that our trash can be an aid to one of the biggest threats to our national security. Seems a bit careless, but then again I guess that doesn't surprise me either. Most people think that the trash / recycling just goes away as long as it's picked up at their curb. Sadly, I don't think a ton of people care where it goes after that. I suppose they might care a little more if they knew it was being exploited for their personal information. . . . nahhhh - probably not even then.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I can't say that I am surprised about e-dumping, unfortunately, or the info. being left on private computers but there is NO excuse for the info. STILL being on GVT computers, that imo, is the act of a saboteur...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 4:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Those weren't government computers, those were contractor computers - it would be like Whirlpool or Kenmore throwing out old computers that had info on contracts to provide appliances to military bases. Problem is, in this case, they were contracts for appliances, they were for things far more important.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 5:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• "It turns out the drive came from Northrop Grumman, one of America's largest military contractors. And it contains details about sensitive, multi-million dollar U.S. government contracts. They also find contracts with the defense intelligence agency, NASA, even Homeland Security."

"Northrop Grumman refused to speak to FRONTLINE/World on camera. But they did issue a statement saying the potential security threat was disconcerting, and they pledged to investigate."

Sorry NP, I misread about them being GVT computers, but it does sound like the above, has a lot more to do with, than appliances...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 6:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• The government contracting process is supposed to be confidential. If I know how you're hiring the people for security related job, TSA air marshals, then I can prepare a person to fit that model and get my guy in,” Durie says. “Once I have my guy in, you have no security.”

This is the part of the article that got my attention. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Disturbing information and sad at the same time on how some people have to live to survive.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 10, 2011