Can you have preclampsia in a pregnancy after having 4 normal pregnancies?

I am 37 years old and this will be my fifth baby if all goes well, I am 16 weeks. At my last doctor visit I had protein in my urine and my blood pressure was higher, at 135 over 80, then my normal but not considered high by the doctors (normal for me is 105 over 65). When I walk just a short distance I get out of breath very easily. I have had constant headaches/migraines. And if I don't take medicine for nausea every few hours, I feel so sick and sometimes get really bad dry heaves. I look forward to any replies. thanks

mom11_4

Asked by mom11_4 at 2:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You can get Preclampsia in ANY pregnancy no matter what happened with your other pregnancies. Same with gestational diabetes.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It happened to me. I spent months in the hospital. Have you started having vision problems? I ended up getting induced 5 weeks early and thank God my little girl was fine. Preclampsia is horrible. I feel for you dear. Try to lay on your left side as often as possible and get to the doctor asap if you start seeing little spots everywhere. I steadily over the entire pregnancy, kept getting worse and worse. I was even life flighted to another hospital at one point. Good luck dear and take care.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yes you can ABSOLUTELY ! I had preeclampsia with my first baby and I was so so sick. I had protein in my urine every visit, and my blood pressure was sky high. My midwife did NOTHING for me. When i delivered my daughter at 36.5 weeks my blood pressure was 190/111 !!!! I almost died ! They had me on magnesium sulfate to bring my blood pressure down (which made me wacked out of my skull ) lol.. Preeclampsia is so dangerous if not watched or taken meds for.
    I blame the midwife on my daughters vision problems. Her eyes are terrible. I would NEVER EVER suggest a midwife to anyone. I didnt even let the bitch in my room when she came in to check on me...i told her to get the hell out of my room, and so did my mom.
    All pregnancys are different with each baby. I really hope your doctor keeps a very close eye on you and baby while you are pregnant. If he or she doesnt you need to find a different doctor who will. Good Luck to you
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 2:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• yes
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 2:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Not all midwives are like that, I prefer my midwife over a doctor anyday and have had two complicated pregnancies.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Magnesium Sulfate is a horrid drug. It works, but made me delusional. I was seeing red and green people all over the room...talking to them and crazy crazyness.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It can happen at any time.
    Hopefully your doctor will talk prevention with you.
    If you follow the Brewer Diet to start, you might not have to worry about pre-e.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Statistically, midwives have safer outcomes than doctors.
    If moms want a normal, healthy birth experience then choosing a Normal Birth Specialist is a great place to start.
    (*Choosing a high-risk doctor/surgeon tends to lead more moms to intervened/surgical births.)

* But still, moms themselves are responsible for themselves and need to remember that they themselves are The Deciders.

And who we hire for our maternity care can be our biggest risk factor.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• i had it and was told that i would probably have it again if i decided to have more babies..i also almost died..bp being 209/110..i also did the mag but didnt have freaky results like the girls above..good luck!
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Yes each pregnancy is different
    TwinkleToes25

Answer by TwinkleToes25 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011