What do you do when you see people on the street begging for money?

If you have spare money or change, do you automatically just give it to them or do you just ignore them and walk on past? How do you react?

maggiebgood

Asked by maggiebgood at 2:05 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• i all depends..normally back home i always always give whatever smaller bills i have and change..but here in south ga i have seen two or 3 ppl that walk up to the interstate begging and then i have seen them come back down and get into decent vehicles and drive away!!!! One guy inpaticular really pisses me off..i felt sorry for him then saw him get in his car!!! So if I can tell they really need it I always give bc like my daddy always says you never know if thats one of gods angels and hes testing you..he always says give in good faith that way if they are ripping you off you get the satisfaction of knowing you gave with a good heart :)
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 2:40 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I hand out money all the time if i have it in my pocket (i live in a big city where there are beggers around). I'm not suffering, i have food & a happy life & i don't need my the change in my pocket as much as some other folks do. I truly believe in the saying " A life lived for others is a life worth living". I try to help in any way i can.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• If the light is red and I have some cash on hand, I give it. I'd like to think that if something bad ever happened to me or my family that there would be a kind stranger willing to help if they could.
    fireeyes81

Answer by fireeyes81 at 2:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• it reminds me of a time when I was 17, I had no cash on me, but I had a $25 gift card to McDonalds I got for Christmas from my aunt. I gave it to the guy and he said no thanks, I want cash.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I walk past. I know it's awful, but I've been burned too many times. I try to give to food banks and homeless shelters and hope that there is enough resources at places like that for people who are willing to ask for help.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 2:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Because we had one area where we lived where the panhandlers were pulling in close to $100,000 a year - NO, I don't give money. Instead, I keep cards with the location to our local soup kitchen/homeless shelter that I will give them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I have helped a couple of families that I knew were struggling horribly but can't really think of a time I have given to the people that usually are out on the corners around town. I had one guy approach me in a parking lot with some sob story about needing to get to this other town for one reason or another. Against my better judgement I gave him $10. A few days later he approached me in a different parking lot with a similar but different story! lol

The sign I have loved most just said "Auto insurance is due." Loved it. Wasn't claiming to be homeless vet, just a dude trying to pay a bill like everyone else. lol
    Anonymous

• I rarely have cash or change, but Iwill give it to a beggar. I've been homeless, and while I never had to beg for money, about 20 friends gave us whatever they could to get back on our feet. My faith in humanity was restored by them. I now try to pay it forward to others including strangers because I've been there.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I offer a prayer that the universe provides what they need. I'm pretty much in the same boat so no I don't offer cash. But if I had it I'd offer it. I know some may not really "need" it and are just ripping people off which is a shame. But I believe in Karma. Offering whatever I can afford can only help me at some future time.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I used to help them, give them a little something but after being scammed im leary of helping them. There was this couple in this other town I used to live. SHe was pregnant and would sit outside of the fast food place beggin for food. I used to buy them a meal every time I seen my husband on break. One day I was leaving wal mart and I seen them walking, its the middle of winter, I followed them to offer a ride and they went down the street and got in to a new car, I followed them to a house that i assumed was theirs since the unlocked the front door.
    the manager of that fast food would also get them food until they found out they were lying. one of the managers went to the house after i gave the address and sure enough they lived there
    GypsyMoon605

Answer by GypsyMoon605 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2011