Kitten that bites!

I dont think she is being mean, but she has a serious biting issue. Anyone experience this and how did you get them to stop? HELP

voni681

Asked by voni681 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Pets

• If your doing a certain thing like rubbing their tummy or something and she bites, then obviously don't rub the tummy. But otherwise if your just playing and she gets too rough stop the play for at least 5-10 minutes. She'll learn that rough play = play ends.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 2:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Oh yeah! I have a male kitten (about 2 mo's old) he is a mess! I can't pick him up without getting a bite, lol.....I plan on having him fixed asap. I hope he settles down. Its quite normal for kittens to bite..they are teething and playful.

justalady774

Answer by justalady774 at 2:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It is normal.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• The kitten may be teething. It needs something to chew on as the teeth grow in and as baby teeth drop out. I would kitten proof the house and make sure all phone cords, tv cords, lamp cords, etc are hidden or out of reach. It could also be a way of the kitten to play with you. I've had 7 cats and some do this when they're young but then grow out of it. They calm down a bit when they get older. Make sure kitty has lots of toys (fake mice, scratching posts, and safe chewable toys). Have you tried giving catnip to kitty yet? This also helps them relax a bit. They go crazy for like a few mins then they pass out as they "get high" I just sprinkle a small pile on the carpet or on some cat toys. Wear oven mitts if you still want to play with kitty or play from a distance with a toy that comes with a stick. You kind of have to get used to biting and scratching when they're young. Another cat to play with helps too
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 2:37 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• i ♥ the biting; it is so funny.
    MsSelfDestruct

Answer by MsSelfDestruct at 2:17 AM on Jul. 11, 2011

• She is teething just like babies. It'll wear off. My kitten is 12wks and I just sit there for hours and let him chew my pinkie up.
    HappyMomma2832

Answer by HappyMomma2832 at 3:04 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• They don't like being ignored, pushing down on their nose or when you push your finger cross ways into their mouth. Sounds cruel but it's not. One of those 3 will get kitty to stop biting.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 3:39 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• Our 12 week old kitten still gnaws at us. It hurts a little bit, but I'm not as sensitive to it as the rest of the family. I think it feels kind of cute. He doesn't nip too hard, but when he does, I tap his nose and look in his eyes and say "no bite."

My older cat (he is almost 2 years old) used to bite me as a kitten - particularily my face. Like, if I was sitting on the couch or laying in bed, he would come up to me, all purring and being sweet.....nuzzle into my neck....and start sniffing my face. Within seconds he'd be biting me! My nose, my cheek, my ears, my forehead! He never bit anywhere else on my body. I just did the same thing with him as I do with the new kitty. He grew out of it, eventually.
    Molly4630

Answer by Molly4630 at 2:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2011