Nudity

If you shower or change in front of your children of the opposite sex, how old would you say was too old to continue to do so?

If you put two children of opposite sex in the tub together, at what ages would you stop?

GirlWithANikon

Asked by GirlWithANikon at 2:46 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• I am not shy with my family. I am approprately modest, meaning I turn back back to change my bra, etc. I think 4 or 5 is a good age for the children to show modesty with eachother.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 2:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My older kids stopped baithing together when he was 5 and she was 4. Now my girls baithe together and ds want's to know why he can't. He just see's them as his sisters. We're trying to teach them modisty and how it's not appropriate as they get older to be showing their bodies to everyone. It's tough we're still working on this as we've not had to deal with it until now.
    As for my kids they all walk into the room when me or dh are changing or showering. It's not like we invite them in or do so right in front of them. They are often in the same room but not watching us.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 2:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• yes it is okay to do and the when to stop is when the kid notices your differences........like the "mom, why does he have a hot dog to pee with" or "mom, it look like you have a mountain lion with no teeth" comments.........usually about 4 or 5
    southernlady184

Answer by southernlady184 at 2:59 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I would stop either at school age, or when they are old enough to ask questions and talk about each other's "parts".
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It depends on the child. Some children are more aware of that kind of thing. My oldest is 4 and I have to stop now, He just asks too many questions.
    Grungalax

Answer by Grungalax at 3:25 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My kids still take a bath together and my daughter is 6 and son 5. I figure by the time she is 7 or so I will definitely make them take separate baths. Right now they show no inappropriate interest in the other, so we have kept them in the same tub.

As for the second part of the question, I would say around the age of 6 for a child of the opposite gender. Course my hubby started covering up and such around the age of 4-5 for our daughter.
    Rauzy

Answer by Rauzy at 3:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• 2 or 3 for dressing in front of opposite sex and bath no older than 5
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 4:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I never consciously stopped putting my op sex kids in the bath together. But I'd say c.7 or 8? As for stopping walking about starkers infront of the kids, I'd say whenever they appeared or said they were embarrassed. hasn't happened yet and our oldest is almost 14. x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 4:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Our daughter who is 4 recently just developed this.....she does not like anyone to see her naked and if someone has to see her naked it has to be me. She doesnt want her daddy to see her naked anymore. Which is fine. And if she comes in our room in the morning she asks "is daddy naked" (he likes to sleep nude) and if we say yes then she leaves until he gets up and gets dressed. I think around 3 is a good time to stop letting your kids see you naked if they are of the opposite sex.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My son is 21 months and I still change in front of him. I guess it will stop when he gets a little older, never really sat down to think about it!

My little ones will probably stop taking baths when my daughter starts Kindergarten.
    MommyofTwo331

Answer by MommyofTwo331 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2011