Gymnastics?

Can a child be in gymnastics just for fun/recreational reasons?
We want to sign dd (4.5yo) up but after reading some message boards it seems that gymnastics is very demanding. It cost alot & it pretty much becomes a life style instead of a fun sport to do...

We decided NOT to do cheerleading because it takes up saturday for football games & we love going out as a family on sat. to the zoo, parks & she spends the night with her grandparents Fri-Sun on occasion.

Im still putting her in it for now. its only $75/mo for 2 practices/wk. But am curious if I may be getting into something more serious/more expensive than we can afford.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• It's only what you want to put into it. There are teams, tryouts, etc. That sort of thing costs money... then you have to factor in travel, lodging, etc. for the meets. However, these things are not forced on you. It's your option.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I've thought of the SAME reasons about gymnastics. I really want to put her in but I don't want her to do any competitions because it takes the fun out of it. Where I used to live in VA there was this place called Toddlin' Time and it was a cute little gym for toddlers and little kids to just play. You could look for a place like that if you wanted to.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My daughter has been in gymnastics for fun for about a year now. She's 4. It IS a little more expensive, where we're going, but there is a competition side, and a recreational side. We let out daughter choose which one she wants to do. You could also see if your local YMCA has some gymnastics classes. My son did that once and it was all about just having fun. He was 3ish at the time.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:15 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• You should have a choice once she gets older as to whether it will be recreational or competitive. If they don't offer the option, pull her out when she gets to that level.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:19 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Instead of putting her into a gym for gymnastics why not try a rec centre? I hear their classes are less demanding and not competitive.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Rose our YMCA doesnt have anything like that :( and i think one reason is because we have a few gymnastics places around our area, in fact our gymnastics place is right across the st. from YMCA.. thinking that if dd does do this (we are going for a trial class this week!) I may go hit the gym while she is in class since Ive heard its not good to watch your child the whole time & ive also read some gyms only let parents in x amount of times a month.

If DD wants to get into the competition part later on that is HER choice - as long as we can afford it... Which I am hoping $ will never hold our child behind, but sometimes there is only so much you can do.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2011