This question is for women who don't like public breastfeeding.

I breastfeed my babies as they need it and don't have a problem with it and just assumed that all women didn't either as long as I was not exposing myself. But some answers today have shown me that not all women are ok with this. Would you mind explaining why? I'm truly curious and would love to understand why as I'm only familar with being good with public breastfeeding covered or not.
If you need to answer anon that's fine or would prefer to private msg me that's fine. I'm not looking to bash anyone just looking for insight to understand where you're coming from. I'd also ask that other's respect women who feel this way and allow them to answer freely.

AmandaH321

Asked by AmandaH321 at 3:18 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I am against public breast feeding. Not because I think it's sexual or indecent. I am against it because ....

1)I was raised that way

2)there are people in this world that are sick and will see it sexually

3) it is a special thing that is just between the mother and child. Not a secret, but private.

Everyone in my family was breast fed, but the mother excuses herself to a bedroom, car, or bathroom. When people don't it really bothers me and if I'm eating it will make me lose my appetite.
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:22 PM on Jul. 11, 2011

• bumpI want to know too, I wouldnt expect a mother to cover up or go hide if she is bottle feeding her baby, how is a brest any defferent, youre feeding your child!!!

leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:22 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Wow people act like a breast is something to be ashamed of. It is there for the purpose of feeding a child!!! I dont want to put a blanket over my head while eating and I wouldnt expect anyone doing it with their child. If you feel like covering up, good for you, if you dont feel like its something to be ashamed of, good for you. I couldnt breastfeed my babies, but I wish I could have.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I don't care if others do it, I actually smile and think "that's a good mom to breastfeed" I wont do it in public because im too shy lol.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 3:21 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I don't mind it if the woman doesn't whip her boob out at the table in the middle of a crowded restaurant. Be discreet. True story, a lady whipped out her boob to breastfeed at the table in a crowded restaurant. EVERYTHING was showing. I have seen other woman breastfeed that were discreet about it. I don't want to have my son yell out, "WHY IS THAT LADIES BOOB HANGING OUT?" People shouldn't have to see the boob while eating.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I wonder too. They obviously did not experience the wonders of breastfeeding. Maybe they are just super duper old school....

I can't believe that one anon lumped breastfeeding in with pooping & peeing...what a douche! Breastfeeding is not like going to the bathroom!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 3:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• You don't need an explanation just as I don't owe any busy body an explanation for how or where I feed my child. Those obsessed with other women's breasts need to seek therapy.

Anonymous

• They are worried about their child seeing a baby eat, they are worried about their husband looking (LOL!) or they are scared they might see a little nippliage...I don't care if women BF and I don't care if my child looks at least they know how a child should eat but, of course, they have learned that from my BFing their sister.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:08 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I couldn't care less who BF in public. I don't need to see it so I don't look when I happen to notice. But it doesn't have anything to do with being worried my DH is perverted and ogling them because he has seen it and doesn't stare or get turned on by it, or thinking breasts are only for sex so I'm always baffled when that comes up. I have never heard or read on here that people think breasts are only for sex. I just happen to think BF a private thing. Just my opinion but I wouldn't get all upset or run over and tell some woman doing that she should cover up or take it elsewhere. I just don't look.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for not exposing yourself. I don't like seeing nipple in public or immodesty.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 10, 2011