14 year old getting a Car & taking driving lessons?

How common is it for a 14 year old girl to take driving lessons and get a new car?

Is it a majority, or not-so common?
I was surprised to hear this happening to close friends, but I've never heared this before - I thought 16 years is the norm.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:26 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• What state?
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• In Wisconsin you have to be 15.5 before you can get your temps and DL at 16. A kid can take the classroom portion as early as 13.5 yrs old but NOT drive.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• And, there is NO WAY IN HELL I would let a 14 year old drive, even if it was allowed.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:30 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Must be in South Dakota where the minimum age is 14 years to obtain a permit. Then they can get a license at 16.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Id die twice if my 14 year old was able to drive. She can barely cook Top Ramen in the microwave.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• requirements in MY state:
    Age requirements

If you’re enrolled in a driver’s education class, you can get an instruction permit when you’re 15 years old, if you:
    Apply for the permit no more than 10 days before the class starts.
    and
    Bring a completed waiver/application from your driving school.
    If you aren’t enrolled in a driver’s education class, you can get a permit when you’re 15½ or older, if you pass the knowledge test.

and like tyfry, there is NO WAY IN HELL I'd allow my 14 year old behind the wheel of ANY vehicle.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• In NC, you are required to take Driver's Ed - either through the school or privately - BEFORE you can get your permit (under the age of 18). This can be done at 14½. At 15, IF you have taken Driver's Ed AND have a school Driving Eligibility Certificate (certifies that your grades are high enough to be issued a permit or DL), you may go for your Learner's Permit which you then hold for a full year before you can take your Driving Test. A License can be issued as young at 16, but permit's do not expire until the holder turns 18.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:43 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I have seen it many times where a parent buy their kid a NEW car when they get their permit because they want that child to learn to drive their own car right from the get go and then they pass the test and the car is theirs to keep.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:41 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I think 14 is too young! I was 16. My daughter is 17 and still hasn't had the urge to go for it!! (I'm fine with that, it's less stress on me)! But, I don't think they should be driving at 14 - maybe learning ... but no license til at 16. (That's my opinion)
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 10:17 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• Depends on the state. In North Dakota the driving age is 14. When we lived there my sister took drivers ed and had her license when she was 14 and 6 months, she however did NOT get a new car. She was allowed to drive our parents extra car (very crappy). When we moved to CO when she was 15 and half they let her keep her license if she took driver's ed over again and tested with CO driving test.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:21 AM on Jul. 14, 2011