14 year old getting a Car & taking driving lessons?

How common is it for a 14 year old girl to take driving lessons and get a new car?

Is it a majority, or not-so common?
I was surprised to hear this. I thought the norm is 16 years-old.

* * *   Yes, she's in South Dakota. But, is it common - and is it safe for her parents to allow this ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Taking a class on the rules maybe, but actual driving classes and a car, never heard of that
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:31 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• In South Dakota - a 14 yr old can obtain a permit and then their license at 16.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:34 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• 14 does seem really young. My dd is 12, I cannot imagion her driving in two years.
    What state are you in?
    My oldest got her license at 16, here in Texas.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 3:35 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I would have no idea about it being common as I'm in the UK but as for safe, picturing the 14 year olds I know and the roads around here, . . . NO! it's not safe (but then is life ever 'safe'???). x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 4:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My DD14 took driver's ed class this summer and has to drive w/ an adult until she is 15. Then from 15 to16 she will have a restricted license so she can only drive to and from school or work. She will not be getting a car for some time but some of her friends have already gotten cars this summer. I think it is a status thing.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 10:52 AM on Jul. 11, 2011