Who is responsible for your child's health? (vent)

I just cannot seem to understand parents right now. At the "Childhood Obesity Conference" in CA this week, their main focus was... Market advertising. They feel that it is the responsibility of the companies to not market their junk food to kids... It is the companies fault that kids are eating junk....
When did McDonalds show up at your door and force feed your kids food? When did parents stop being in charge of your kids health, and it became the blame of food companies?
I for one, believe in being a parent. Making sure your kids get what they NEED, before what they want... And making sure my DD eats really healthy. Yes it is tough.. But who doesnt know that some carrots are better than potato chips?
No one is responsible for your children, only the parents are. We should stop blaming companies for making their food look good, or appealing to children. Its their job, to sell their product.
But we, as parents, have the final say in what comes into our home, and what we pay money for.. And the word "NO" goes a long way...
Vent over...

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 4:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• EXACTLY!
    I highly doubt 3 year olds are going to McDonald's by themselves and ordering up themselves a few Happy Meals!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Totally agree.. we go to Mc not to often but we do and half the time we get my son a salad....we have instilled(and gotten very lucky too) good eating habits in him. He's at the age where every comercial he sees is something he "needs" its my job to explain to him what the difference between need and want is and to enforce that. Parents are so lazy now days and don't want to parent.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Preaching to the coir here.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Definitely a parent's responsibility. But its the society we live in these days...there's is always someone to blame for our failures.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• The parents of coarse
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• My kids eat healthy, its not hard. I just don't buy crap and so they dont even know what its like to have it. My 2 and 3 yr olds get all excited if they find veggie dip in the fridge for their carrots they eat as snacks. Any juice is a treat and if they are lucky I get like one bottle a month. I make Popsicles out of fruit and sometimes juice. I cook our dinners at home. I make them play outside even though they are lazy as heck since we moved to el paso bc they still cant get used to the heat. We allllllllllways have fruits for our sweet snacks. The biggest junk foods I buy are one box of juice boxes or less a month for long car trips or appts ect but I usually buy bottled water and pop corn because sometimes they like a movie and pop corn before bread.

But once a week after my child's therapy appt we get milk shakes.
    GirlWithANikon

Answer by GirlWithANikon at 4:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• clappingThank you.

leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 4:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I am responsible that was why I lost 400 plus pounds and started to make sure my sons were healthy and my youngest could beat cancer and he did. No one came to my house and forced me to not care but I realized its easier to care then to no.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• way to goWTG pinkdragon!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Great job pinkdragon!! Thats amazing.
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 4:20 PM on Jul. 10, 2011