what are the 7 deadly sins?

just wondering what the seven deadly sins are?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Pride is excessive belief in one's own abilities, that interferes with the individual's recognition of the grace of God. It has been called the sin from which all others arise. Pride is also known as Vanity.

Envy is the desire for others' traits, status, abilities, or situation.

Gluttony is an inordinate desire to consume more than that which one requires.

Lust is an inordinate craving for the pleasures of the body.

Anger is manifested in the individual who spurns love and opts instead for fury. It is also known as Wrath.

Greed is the desire for material wealth or gain, ignoring the realm of the spiritual. It is also called Avarice or Covetousness.

Sloth is the avoidance of physical or spiritual work.
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 5:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Actually- it's Wrath- not anger. Sloth, Gluttony, Pride, Envy, Greed, and ( my personal favorite) Lust. My Grandmother would be so proud that I could remember all of those!
    WhitlessWhitney

Answer by WhitlessWhitney at 6:45 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I hate to ask but are these actually in the Bible and why are they deadly are they just that unforgivable?
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 7:24 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• They are considered unforgivable because all deter/take focus away from God
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Gluttony; fornication; avarice; sorrow; anger; discouragement; vainglory; pride.

i thought when you asked for forgivess it was forgiven from god forever?
    I don't think these are in the bible these are made up by roman catholic staints an preists, i think so.On the news they where saying there are more (deadly sins)now made up like porn stuff, and useing the internet all the time i think was on there, modern sins for our moern times the first 7 came out in the 1400'S
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Anything that separates you from God is "sinful". I don't really believe in "sin" but it's obvious that certain acts spiritually separate us from God. God NEVER leaves us, we leave God. And I do think that those "deadly sins" are mostly likely to make us feel separate from our creator.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:51 AM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I guess I don't understand why they're called "deadly sins" when there is only one unforgiveable sin. God will forgive you of your sins if you ask.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 12:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• ReneeK3 -- I'm a little rusty on my Catholicism but I believe those originated from the Catholic Church. The Cardinal Sins. Catholics break sin into two categories - minor (venial) and major (deadly/cardinal/mortal). All sin is not equal. In Catholic religion if you commit a deadly sin only the act of confession can forgive you for the act.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• ahhh, that would explain why I knew nothing about it then. I'm not religious, I'm Christian ;)
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• That gets it for me too. I am not a religion I am Christian. I always thought there was only one unforgivieable sin too.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 4:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2008