Bill Maher Compares Casey Anthony Verdict To Republican Thinking

Would love to hear some thoughts on this! Transcript below

"And finally, New Rule.  If you can look at a crime where everything points to one answer and not see it, you're a dumbass.  And if you can look at the deficit and not see that the problem is that the rich stopped paying taxes, you're a Republican.  And before you accuse me of equating the Casey Anthony verdict with Republican thinking, save your breath.  I am.  I am.  I'm equating them.

I'm saying if you're a working-class American who still votes Republican, then you don't get to bitch about that verdict.

President Obama said maybe, just maybe, the problem with the budget is that the billionaires were "enjoying the lowest tax rates since before I was born".  Yeah, like we believe Obama was "born".

Now here's Obama's thinking, and it's a little counter-intuitive, but try to follow it. When Clinton was President, the rich paid a little more taxes, and the government had money.  Then Bush cut all those taxes, and now we don't.  I know it's hard to grasp, it involves subtracting.  But in suggesting that in these desperate times, we slightly raise the tax on private jets, Obama was baiting the Republicans to look like extremists by defending private jets.

But the gambit failed, because half the people are not outraged.  Half of them say, I'm with the party that cuts all these programs for real people, for the 99%: Planned Parenthood, environmental protection, college, health care, infrastructure; but holds the line on private jets.  Voting for them is as stupid as voting not guilty for the mom who lost her baby for a month, and went looking at a wet t-shirt contest.

Every election, roughly half the population votes Democrat, and the other half votes Republican.  Now I understand why the Republicans get 1% of the vote.  The richest 1%.  That other 49%?  Someone will have to explain to me.

The facts about what the Republicans have done to the middle class are beyond reasonable doubt.  And yet their base refuses to see it.  The moneyed elite in America are dragging a bag filled with your future down the steps, and your reaction is, "Hold on there, that looks heavy.  Let me give you a hand getting it into your trunk."

Is it really that radical to suggest slightly trimming the tax break on corporate jets?  It seems like a reasonable idea, given that (a) people who buy corporate jets are filthy rich, and (b) I DON'T NEED A (B)!  This is a country of the rich, by the rich, for the rich, where every day, it sees our laws and culture cater more to wealthy people: tax breaks, industry-written laws, bailouts, deregulation.  All of it goes to making the lives of the rich just a little bit cushier.  Oh, I'm sorry.  Did I say rich?  I meant job creators.

Yes.  That's actually a prevailing theory on the right, that Obama's rhetoric towards Wall Street has been so hostile, it has created an uncertainty in the business community, because he called them "fat cats" once, and they're still suffering from some sort of jobs creating disorder.  Like he burst into the bathroom on them while they were trying to pee, and now they can't go at all.

When did the business community in America become so sensitive that we have to treat them like some sort of rare exotic animal?  Don't startle them, or they'll fly away.  We need to soothe them, so they can nest here and lay their magic eggs full of jobs.  Which never hatch, by the way.  Bush said his tax cuts for the rich would create jobs, they didn't.  We're now being told if multinational corporations bring home their current overseas profits of $1.4 trillion, they'll only be taxed 5% on it, because we're told it will create jobs.  It won't, just like it didn't the last time we tried it in 2004.  Companies took the savings, and paid it out to themselves in dividends.

Yes, Republican base, you are just like that jury.  It is pathetically clear who's killing the middle class, but you keep letting them get away with murder.

That's our show.  I'm glad I got that off my chest."

momofone072506

Asked by momofone072506 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Entertainment

• He made a lot of good points....but the relationship between the Casey Anthony verdict and Republicans is a little tenuous.
    I do think he has told us the truth about Republicans' economic mistakes, their wrong-headed look at medicare, health care,etc.and its just too bad that nobody takes him seriously. HERE is what REALLY makes sense:

Is it really that radical to suggest slightly trimming the tax break on corporate jets? It seems like a reasonable idea, given that (a) people who buy corporate jets are filthy rich, and (b) I DON'T NEED A (B)! This is a country of the rich, by the rich, for the rich, where every day, it sees our laws and culture cater more to wealthy people: tax breaks, industry-written laws, bailouts, deregulation. All of it goes to making the lives of the rich just a little bit cushier. Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say rich? I meant job creators
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:32 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• It is my opinion that Bill Maher, (ya know~the guy who was FIRED from ABC) is a deranged idiot

Example 1: Bill Maher blamed the AZ shooter on Conservatives (Jan 2011) =deranged

Example 2: Bill Maher says, " Brazil got off oil in the last thirty years", then when asked to defend?  he couldn't (May 2010)=idiot

There are plenty more examples...  

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• That is the problem with America today. They get their news from comedians. Stewart is an idiot as well as the people dumb enough to swallow what he feeds them.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:36 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Before you go accusing people of being idiots you might want to educate yourself. He is very smart and knows about a lot of things and makes you think.

LMAO.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:38 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• This is a country of the rich, by the rich, for the rich,

I will give him credit for becoming one of those rich by playing to the stupid. Kind of like Michael Moore.

Oh yeah! I forgot Michael Moore. The biggest walking advertisement for birth control on the planet!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 6:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Bill Maher is a deranged idiot. His words don't influence my livelihood.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:10 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Bill Maher is a bottom feeder,and right down there with Jon Stewart. I agree with grlygrlz, I would certainly never base my entire life on what one loser radical left wing weirdo nut says.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:39 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• That is the problem with America today. They get their news from comedians

No kidding... Then they defend the has-been idiotic comedians... IMO, some are lemmings to the liberal elitest media...  They can't research and develop an opinion of their own, so they blindly follow asshats like Maher.. To each their own...  Sad, they are part of the voting public, though...  

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I will give him credit for becoming one of those rich by playing to the stupid. Kind of like Michael Moore.

Yup... He profits off the ignorant.  I think it is funny that some are proud to be "followers"

going crazy

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:58 PM on Jul. 10, 2011