In what order do you change your information after you get married.

In what order do you change your information after you get married. Example, SS Card, Drivers Liscence, Bank Info.

mrs.acosta2011

Asked by mrs.acosta2011 at 5:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• Social Security card first. You can not change your driver's license..etc.. until you have a new social security card.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• social security first, because our DMV has to have a ss# the matches before changing it. I never changed ours at the bank. I also hyphenated which made life easier.

Answer by gemgem at 5:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• In Texas where I live, and I assume it is the same in other states, you take a copy of your marriage license to the dps, and the s.s. office and they will change it. Same with the bank. Dh and I got a joint account once we were married.
    sunsetbeach81

Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• you have to have a social security number to change anything else. Not sure if your marriage license alone will get you very far these days.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Social, driver's, employer records (401k, medical insurance, life insurance, direct deposit, etc.), bank records, credit cards/debit cards, house insurance/warranty/mortgage, utilities, car insurance, mail, cell phone, store cards (macy's, victoria's, etc.). I would keep a hyphenated name to make things easier to transition.

Though as a word of caution, I wouldn't have a joint account until after maybe 3 years of marriage. If you do have one, make sure you have a separate one still for your own funds and you can transfer any shared funds to the joint account for things like bills, mortgage, etc. Money is one of the top issues after marriage and usually not a good idea to have only a joint account. I know people who don't have joint accts even after 20 yrs of marriage. If the marriage changes (always prepare for the worst), then he doesn't have control over your money and u can leave easier.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 5:17 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Actually...I got my drivers license first. All they needed was my old ID and my marriage license. Months later I got my SS card, and I am now waiting for the debit card from me and my husband's joint account.
    noteven1nce

Answer by noteven1nce at 5:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• I went to get my SS card first, but the DMV and the bank only needed my marriage certificate. Once I got my new license I faxed a photocopy of it to credit card companies and they just sent me a new card.
    jteffs

Answer by jteffs at 5:29 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• ss card has to be done first in order to change anything, then DL, then bank, credit cards etc.
    akalei

Answer by akalei at 6:13 PM on Jul. 10, 2011

• Driver's license, SS and the rest. Just because you need an ID to get your SS.
    paufonseca

Answer by paufonseca at 7:23 PM on Jul. 10, 2011